Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A quetion about your religion

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM
  • 88 Replies

Are you going to make your kids be in your religion or will you let them chose who they what they want to do?

Would you be mad if they did not want to go to church anymore?

If you did not believe in God and your child wanted to go to church would you be mad or let them go?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
not.atyou
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM
My religion is love.

As long as it's done with love, they're free to believe/worship how they please.
SequesteredLeo
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM

They can believe whatever they want to believe in. We have open discussions about any and all religions and non-religions in this house and none are discriminated against.

Beautiful31mom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM
3 moms liked this

While they are in our home they will go to church with us. once they are 18 and leave our home if they choose not to be Christians that is up to them, would I be upset? Yes, of course, But they will always be my children and God will always be there when and if they choose to come back.

My children know that their are other religions out there.

charligirl33
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't believe in God. My 9 year old daughter knows this, and she knows the reasons why. When we moved to the city after being in a very small rural town, I didn't want her in public school (they are horrible here) and there is a private Catholic school a block from our house. It's a fantastic school. Great education, one of only 2 Blue Ribbon schools in our state. I enrolled here there 2 years ago. 

She was recently baptized Catholic. When she first brought it up, I said no. She gave me many compelling reasons why she thought it was best for her. She also stood her ground when her opinion differed so greatly from mine. I finally allowed it. 

After I agreed to allow it, she also had to fight the parish priest. He felt she shouldn't be baptized if I wasn't. She stood her ground with him and convinced him that it was the best thing for her.

She just had her First Communion a week ago. I'm proud of my girl for sticking to what she believes. It's completely different from me, but I can't force my opinions on her. I firmly support her choice.  

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM
They can choose their religion, however while they live in my house they will not practice any fundamentalist form of any religion and if they grow up to practice one I will be very disappointed. If they want to go to church, they can go with a Christian relative or we can go to the Unitarian Universalist church as a family.
Megara
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I am raising my kids in my religion, but it is their choice to follow it. If they did not, I would be sad. But it has to be their choice.
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on May. 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM

We have two different religions in our home. Considering I'm not overly religious I agreed to letting the kids be raised catholic like my wife was raised. They can attend church with my wife, I won't join them. If they got older and decided they wanted to be something else I wouldn't mind.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I do not believe in God.  Two of my children define themselves as Christian and one goes to church weekly.  I have no problem with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Unless they're gay.

Quoting Beautiful31mom:

While they are in our home they will go to church with us. once they are 18 and leave our home if they choose not to be Christians that is up to them, would I be upset? Yes, of course, But they will always be my children and God will always be there when and if they choose to come back.

My children know that their are other religions out there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I don't have a religion. I believe in god but don't believe many of the beliefs. My son is free to believe in whatever he wants and I will support his decision 100%.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)