Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No childcare = no visitation?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 170 Replies

My husband is supposed to get his child over the summer for six weeks. However, we do not have any childcare for her. The preschool my son goes to only has older kids-4 and 5 year olds (the child will be four in August). There's other daycares, but none will take her for only the summer. Plus, her mother said she wasn't willing to pay half of the costs, and we aren't about to shell out all that money for her just to be at daycare while she's here. I'm a college professor and will be teaching a couple summer classes and my husband works for a corporate office. So there's no way we can get off work. His family lives out of town, and my family has their own life and I won't ask them to rearrange their summer plans for this child.

We're bummed, but it is what it is.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2b2many
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM

There seriously isn't a single one who will take her? wow, thats too bad. Well is your DH wants to see his child he needs to figure out a way to make it work...

Peppy11
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM
3 moms liked this

If it's affordable, you could hire a babysitter to watch the children at home.  Maybe that isn't going to work out for the full six weeks, but you might consider taking a few weeks of visitation. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM
18 moms liked this

It sounds like you don't care very much about the little girl which is sad. My exDH saves all year long so he can afford to take time off in the summer to spend with our daughter. I hope that little girl doesn't grow up bitter for the way her daddy was unwilling to inconvience his "new" family so he could see her. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Babysitters are way more expensive than the daycares, cause you pay them by the hour instead of just by the day.

Quoting Peppy11:

If it's affordable, you could hire a babysitter to watch the children at home.  Maybe that isn't going to work out for the full six weeks, but you might consider taking a few weeks of visitation. 

charligirl33
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM
9 moms liked this

No, it is what you make it. If your husband wanted to see the child, he'd make it happen. My ex husband pays for child care while our daughter is with him during the summer. I pay for child care when she's with me. He'd never ask me to pay for half of it while sh'es there, that's ridiculouis. It sounds to me from the tone of your post that you don't really want the child there. That's a shame. What's even more of a shame is if your husband goes along with it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM

If you don't take at least some of the visitation Birthmom is well within her rights to petition the court to discontinue visitation all together

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

That's not even it at all. It's that it just doesn't work out this year.

Quoting Anonymous:

It sounds like you don't care very much about the little girl which is sad. My exDH saves all year long so he can afford to take time off in the summer to spend with our daughter. I hope that little girl doesn't grow up bitter for the way her daddy was unwilling to inconvience his "new" family so he could see her. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM

We tried to see if we could get her later in the summer since I'm not teaching the whole summer, just the first summer session.

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

There seriously isn't a single one who will take her? wow, thats too bad. Well is your DH wants to see his child he needs to figure out a way to make it work...

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Hire a teen to watch both kids over the summer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM

That's actually fine with us. Saves us travel time and all this hassell and we will just get her on Thanksgiving.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you don't take at least some of the visitation Birthmom is well within her rights to petition the court to discontinue visitation all together

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)