Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your take on marriage counseling?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM
  • 65 Replies
2 moms liked this

I just scheduled our first session. Going next Thursday.

We've been having issues for a long time regardless, but I recently found out he had cheated on me. We're trying to work through it, and I'm hopeful that counseling will help.

I've never gone to counseling before, not even on my own. I'm a little nervous.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I honestly think its stupid and waste of both time and money. They are going to just keep telling you have problems even if you don't so you continue to come back and pay more money. You would be better off working it out yourselves.

potgieter
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

be open and honest - if its a good counsellor she/he will guide the session. DOnt be nervous :) you are doing the right thing for your family and should be proud! 

LexeesMama
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I think it could be helpful if you both are willing to really give it a shot. I haven't tried counseling but I would if I had the money, just for my own sanity. 

CamoChick
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM
2 moms liked this

You will not regret it!!!!  I am so glad we finally started going.  I am not embarassed about going and we always say even when things are great we will still be seeing her.

Monsita
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

The first time that I had an appointment with a marriage counseling my husband was supposed to meet me there AFTER WORK.....he did not show up.  That is one another way I knew we were done!!!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU TWO!

In my case I ended going to see a marriage counsel er for a whole year ALL BY MYSELF....it did helped me!!

Snapdragon88
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I think it's great. It lets both parties see things from a 3rd point of view and makes it easier to understand one another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
potgieter
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

thats the thing - it sucks when you have a bad counsellor, that can just make things worse. If you find one who genuinly cares, it will change your life. See if you can find out how long most of her patients have stayed with her - not too short but not to long would be ideal. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I honestly think its stupid and waste of both time and money. They are going to just keep telling you have problems even if you don't so you continue to come back and pay more money. You would be better off working it out yourselves.

momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it works if both people want it to. I can't say for sure because I haven't been there. I wish you the best and I hope it works.

Cheating is a huge mountin to over come but it can be done and some couples come out stronger. So keep your head up and just be honest about your feelings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbirdsladie27
1 mom liked this
I agree, I've watched a few couples go through with therapy and their marriage still declined to the point of divorce

Quoting Anonymous:

Snowpuma
1 mom liked this
It depends on what you want, how you each get along with the counselor and how honest you are with your issues. It is what you make it honestly. Each counselor brings their own thing to it, but they've usually heard it all so there's nothing to be scared or embarrassed about.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN