Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Scarlet Fever UPDATE: 5/3

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 166 Replies

My 15 month old was diagnosed with strep and Scarlet fever. We took him to the er for just a fever, a very high one.. was sent home and today I changed his shirt to a nice rash on his back with quickly spread. Hes on antibiotics..but hes sooo uncomfortable..and won't sleep... just screams. 

Has anyone had this or a child with this? What were some of your home remedies to make them comfortable?

UPDATE: He didn't have scarlet fever. I took him to his PED yesterday and it's roseola. They tested him for strep and it was clean. He explained that roseola starts with a very high fever, which he did start with...and then after a fever breaks, the rash occurs. He said it's a virus, thats why his cell count was down, and if it was a bacteria, which is what strep is, is would have went up. I showed him the papers from the ER, and he said he was going to complain about the doctor, and so am I. You shouldn't blindly diagnose and prescribe medication, that can be dangerous! 

by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermarie2006
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM
3 moms liked this
Vaccinated kids get it, 2 of mine did this past year. OP we did oatmeal baths and also as few clothes as possible. Doctor said the elastic in clothing makes the rash worse.
Quoting Anonymous:

Uuuummm, vaccinating them so they don't get it in the first place?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I had scarlet fever when I was a teenager but I dont remember what my mom did home remedy wise beside make me sleep and take the anitbiotics the doctor had given me

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 1, 2013 at 6:13 PM
There isn't a strep throat vaccine, lol!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 1, 2013 at 6:13 PM
my only advice is to make sure you finish whole course of antibiotics even if lo gets better
daughteroftruth
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

smh.. you don't even know what vaccinations are out there do you?

There is no vaccination for scarlet fever, its a complication from strep throat, there is not vaccination for strep throat either. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 1, 2013 at 6:17 PM
3 moms liked this
Or, be uneducated and just do whatever the doctor tells you. That's obviously what this anon does if she doesn't even know what vaccines get child gets.

OP, ice pops, jello, ice cream. Sure, it's not healthy, but it's only for a few days and it'll really make his throat feel better.

Quoting Anonymous:

lovemylittle1
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM
My daughter had Scarlet Fever in March. My suggestion... Oatmeal baths, anti itch cream on he ichiest spots, and do not skip any of the antibiotics!!

Also, ice pops!!

Good Luck!
Ms.Mysterious
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:19 PM

My kids have never showed signs of strep. They have always gotten Scarlet Fever. Sometimes not even a rash. I only notice when their hands, feet and groin would start to peel. Don't feel bad!! 

twinners.mama
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM
My brother had it when we were little. My mom gave him baking soda baths or oatmeal baths. And make sure he finishes ALL antibiotics no matter how much better he's feeling!!! Good luck...it's awful, but will go away.
Aslen
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM
OP, had he been on abx for the strep?
Did he finish that course if he was?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)