Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confessions from a waiter...readers beware

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 228 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have been a server for many years and, based on the money I make, I am a damn good one. I pride myself in ensuring that all of my guests receive exceptional customer service. They are my number one priority. Even those who are not my guests, I still treat as my own. Their experience is what makes or breaks my mood. I love to serve people and I love to make them happy. But, there is always that ONE guest...that ONE who pushes you over the edge.

Okay, brag over. Let's get down to the nitty gritty. This week, I have compiled a list of answers from my fellow servers on their confessions. What they do but will never tell anyone.

Here was my first question to all of them - "What is something you do that would have your guest running for the door and never come back?"

Answers:

"If I don't like a certain guest, I won't wash my hands before handling their food."

"I don't always wash my hands after I smoke"

"If there isn't any clean silverware, I will grab some from dish(washing area where we store everything thata is dirty) and take a towel and rub it clean"

"When doing chores, I will use the same towel, that I used to wipe down ALL the tables, to clean all the bottle tops" . At night, one of the chores is to use a towel and wipe clean all ketchup, mustard, A1 steak sauce, mayo, and hot sauce tops.

"The tables are definitely not clean. Trust me. If you drop food on it, do NOT eat it. Do NOT let your children it. And that's all I have to say"

"Non of us clean the ice scoops until Sunday nights when we are required to run soak them in clorox/water over night"  If an ice bin is ever in your line of vision, look in it. If you notice that the employee places the scoop in a special holder, you're good. They practice good sanitary measures there. if they toss it back in the bin with the ice, request a drink with "NO ICE PLEASE!". Just think about all the things they touch with their hands. They then go to touch the scoop and then throw it back on top of the ice. YUCK!

"I have been working here  months. I have yet to see anyone clean the actual ice bin" Again, "NO ICE PLEASE!"

"Sometimes, if I'm not sure the food is hot enough, especially the spinach dip, I'll stick my finger in it." See answers 1 and 2

"Nobody cleans the beverage racks. Ever. Use a straw" If you are not familiar with what restaurant beverage racks look like, it is a plastic square rack that has compartments for each glass. Each glass is stored in it, upside down so that the rim of the glass touches the rack.The only cleaning they ever get is when they are pushed through the washer, with the cups in them.

"If I don't like the customer, I'll find the dirtiest glass and wipe it with my towel that I have been using to wipe down my tables after the guests leave"

"Not my doing, but I always sweep up roaches"

"One time, a customer can from hell. He sat at my table. I scratched my balls in the bathroom and then touched his food with it" We do not have cameras in our restaurant

"They didn't tip me. They were rude, demanding, and wanted to eat everything under the damn sun. It's okay though, because I 'accidently' dropped her corn on the cob. I called it even. "

I've got more but I've got to finish dinner. My kids are "dying" of hunger.

Be back later. Enjoy!

Oh, and add yours too if you have any ;)

Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM
4 moms liked this
I was a waitress and there were cameras everywhere. The only thing I have touched food with my finger I thought was cold but I washed my hands A LOT. And so did everyone else. We cleaned the glass racks, we wash the table cloth after every guest and the napkins, I have washed dirty silverware with soap and water but not just rinsed it.

Where do you work? It sounds disgusting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM
A girl would rub your dessert spoon in her armpit before she served it to you.

We had these points cards that earned you free food and a friend would take all the points off if you were rude to him.

We also never cleaned ice bins...or coffee machines.

We cleaned the individual pieces of the drink fountain, but never the fountain itself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM
A VERY popular American restaurant. I'm not sure yet if I want to say. Maybe later.

I have worked for many restaurants. They have their good employees and they have their bad employees.

These are only the confessions.

I am a lot like you. And I am not, by any means, saying all servers are like this.

Again, there are NO cameras.

Of course it sounds disgusting. This is a confessions post, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was a waitress and there were cameras everywhere. The only thing I have touched food with my finger I thought was cold but I washed my hands A LOT. And so did everyone else. We cleaned the glass racks, we wash the table cloth after every guest and the napkins, I have washed dirty silverware with soap and water but not just rinsed it.

Where do you work? It sounds disgusting.

nicolemead91
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

wow...

not.atyou
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this
My husband is a chef.

You chicks don't even WANT to know all the gross stuff he's seen.
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Ooooh most of these would have made me fire those people immediately, I'm such a germophobe lol. Although I will say that the ice bin not being cleaned and the glass racks not being cleaned are really common. It was a problem in every single restaurant I've ever worked at. I'll never forget the hot summer day when the night bartender forgot to cover the bottles overnight. I went to make someone a mahattan- they were standing right at the bar- and when I poured it DOZENS of teeny flies came out of the bottle into the glass. It was so repulsing. If that was me I would have left asap. But he gladly took the drink from a new bottle! I got so lucky he was a nice customer on that one LOL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

This makes me want to stop tipping at all.

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on May. 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Where do you serve at and in what state? Just so i know where to completely avoid.
BluePandaDreams
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Same here.

Quoting Anonymous:

This makes me want to stop tipping at all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganmommy4
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow. I worked at a fast food place once and every five minutes we went out to wash the tables with bleach water. We hand washed and sanitized everything.

I know servers do disgusting things, but at all of the places that I have worked at, being sanitary was our number one priority. And yes, those tables we cleaned

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured