Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why did you choose the names for your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

I just wanted to do a fun little post lol. When you were picking names for your kids did you go through books and search or did you use family names? Dh and I decided to go with family names. My mom had a cousin who passed when she was a teenager and her name was Raquel. I thought it would be nice to have another Raquel name. For dd's middle names we used my moms middle name and my grandmas first name. I like hearing about how some picked out the names. 

♥a marines baby girl♥
I'm a Marine's baby girl and I'll always be
Giving up precious time so we can all be free
But still I'm the baby girl of a United States Marine
Even before that day I was born
My daddy has worn that elite uniform
Khaki and green with dog tags to wear
No matter what, I know my daddy will always be there
When he returns fr
om work I nestle in his arms
Protecting me from the surrounding world and any type of harm
He might look scary and sometimes even mean
But here's my little secret, he's a softy for his baby girl even as a Marine
I wear my pink as my daddy wears his blues
My daddy knows why he is Semper Fi
You may call him leatherneck, jar head, devil dog and many other things
But I call him daddy 'cause that's what he'll always be to me.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Replies (41-50):
Nee86
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1st: My husband wanted to name her Jessi, I wanted Ann so we combined them, Jessiann. For her middle name it's tradition in my family to have the middle name after someone else so Lois was for dh grandmother.
2nd: I always like the name Wyatt. Middle name, well dh's grandfather and my grandfather's name was Robert. So Robert it was.
TeamTARDIS
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Well I was told we were having a girl but had a back up boys name. When the doctor said 'it's a boy' we thought we would name him our back up name but it didn't fit.
We spent the day watching him and both ended up randomly choosing Felix (which wasnt on our list)
Felix means happy and it really fits. Arthur means bear so his name means Happy Bear!
Edmund is the English version of my dh's name Eamonn and it sounded nice.
Felix Arthur Edmund completely fits him!

Quoting Mazi184:

I might have to rewatch it sometime lol. Yeah people always comment on it, and assume I love Tom cruise, haha!

Do you have a story behind your sons name?

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

I seriously dislike Tom Cruise (won't watch any of his new stuff) but I loved his character!

I bet you get compliments on his name all the time!

Quoting Mazi184:

Thanks! I dunno, I'm not the biggest Tom Cruise fan to begin with so I kinda just watched it because I felt like I should (since I named my kid Maverick and all)- lol I was underwhelmed with it all.

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

I think Maverick is the coolest name (but then I loved Top Gun!)

Quoting Mazi184:

My ds's name is Maverick James

It has nothing to do with Tom Cruise or TopGun lol, I didn't even watch it untill recently (hated it)

Anyways, when I worked at a day care there was a little boy named Maverick, and I just fell in love with the name.

I also just wanted a more traditional name for his middle, and I liked James.

CatherineNewton
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Books! We wouldn't use family names!! To many people with the same name!
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Just found names we liked.

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I know a few families who've done that.  It was never something I was interested in but I couldn't deny my son when he was so cute asking.  He was only 8 and I was glad he wanted to be involved.  His first choice had been Jamal which I vetoed.  When I showed him her picture after our referral was approved, he said "I knew I liked the name Jessica but she is DEFINITELY a Jessica!!"  It was so cute.

Quoting TariMeccico:

My mom wanted all her kids to have the same initials lol, why? I don't know. So my two older sisters and I all have the same initials TTM. 

Quoting disneymom2two:

My kids' names both start with the same letter.  I NEVER planned on doing that.  I liked the name Jason.  DH wanted a Jr but I didn't because its a very common name.  After my section, DH said "I'm fine with Jason."   With my daughter, I had been thinking of names like Ciara or Samantha but my son wanted her initials to be the same as his.  His rationale was that since they wouldn't look alike (she was adopted from China), he wanted their initials similar.  Their middle names are different (we kept her Chinese name as a middle name) but their first and last initials are the same.

couture-mommy
by She.Me.Her on May. 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM
My son has a religious name.
Christian Elijah :-) it sounds pretty
stykir
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM

My husband knew a boy growing up and wanted to use that name (he always liked it) and then my son's middle name is my husband's and his dad's middle name.

My daughter...we just made a list of names we liked and it's the only one we agreed on. and her middle name is my mom's middle and my MIL's middle name.

pce68
by Patti on May. 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I used my great grandma's name for my dd's first name, and her middle name is the same as mine and my mom's. Ironically, she also had a great grandmother on her dad's side with the same name, but I didn't know that when I named her (her father and I weren't together and he wasn't communicating much with me at that time so he didn't help me pick out her name).

misskriss10
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM
We decided on our daughter's name less than an hour after we found out that I was pregnant. It wasn't a family name but we both loved it. Her middle name is a family name though.
Mazi184
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM
I like it I like it! When I think of Felix I think of the lucky potion, Felix Felicis, from Harry Potter (yeah, I'm a potterhead lol)
So it sounds like a lucky name to me! :)

What language does bear mean Aruthur? Dh is dead set on naming our next boy Bear something... But I think Bear might be a little to our there for me lol.

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

Well I was told we were having a girl but had a back up boys name. When the doctor said 'it's a boy' we thought we would name him our back up name but it didn't fit.

We spent the day watching him and both ended up randomly choosing Felix (which wasnt on our list)

Felix means happy and it really fits. Arthur means bear so his name means Happy Bear!

Edmund is the English version of my dh's name Eamonn and it sounded nice.

Felix Arthur Edmund completely fits him!

Quoting Mazi184:

I might have to rewatch it sometime lol. Yeah people always comment on it, and assume I love Tom cruise, haha!

Do you have a story behind your sons name?

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

I seriously dislike Tom Cruise (won't watch any of his new stuff) but I loved his character!

I bet you get compliments on his name all the time!

Quoting Mazi184:

Thanks! I dunno, I'm not the biggest Tom Cruise fan to begin with so I kinda just watched it because I felt like I should (since I named my kid Maverick and all)- lol I was underwhelmed with it all.

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

I think Maverick is the coolest name (but then I loved Top Gun!)

Quoting Mazi184:

My ds's name is Maverick James

It has nothing to do with Tom Cruise or TopGun lol, I didn't even watch it untill recently (hated it)

Anyways, when I worked at a day care there was a little boy named Maverick, and I just fell in love with the name.

I also just wanted a more traditional name for his middle, and I liked James.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN