Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why did you choose the names for your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

I just wanted to do a fun little post lol. When you were picking names for your kids did you go through books and search or did you use family names? Dh and I decided to go with family names. My mom had a cousin who passed when she was a teenager and her name was Raquel. I thought it would be nice to have another Raquel name. For dd's middle names we used my moms middle name and my grandmas first name. I like hearing about how some picked out the names. 

♥a marines baby girl♥
I'm a Marine's baby girl and I'll always be
Giving up precious time so we can all be free
But still I'm the baby girl of a United States Marine
Even before that day I was born
My daddy has worn that elite uniform
Khaki and green with dog tags to wear
No matter what, I know my daddy will always be there
When he returns fr
om work I nestle in his arms
Protecting me from the surrounding world and any type of harm
He might look scary and sometimes even mean
But here's my little secret, he's a softy for his baby girl even as a Marine
I wear my pink as my daddy wears his blues
My daddy knows why he is Semper Fi
You may call him leatherneck, jar head, devil dog and many other things
But I call him daddy 'cause that's what he'll always be to me.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM
My first child was placed for adoption, but they gave him my first name as his middle. Daniel.

Second child we just liked his first name, but dh gave him the middle name Zakk after a musician who kept him out of trouble.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM
I like Irish names so I picked Caitlin for my oldest daughter. It means pure.
I picked Teegan for my youngest son. It means little poet. Sometimes we call him Teague.
Tristan is Welsh. It means noisy one. Lol
Cheyenne is a tribal name.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

We looked at all woman on his side of the family with his last name.  We chose  nothing that had ever been used.  Not to mention that we liked the meaning of the name.

Our adopted DD (at the age of 6) has gone through a name change and also has a name that has never been used on either side of the family.  We like this and they are "normal" names.

Ayshren
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I named my son Jayden Marcellus. 13 years ago, Jayden was an unusual name..you hear it all the time now lol but I still like it:) My daughter is Arianna Nicole. Ive always loved Arianna and hubby picked Nicole. I didnt want my kids to be named after anyone we knew or were related to, first or middle names.

caito
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM

My husband and I saw the movie A Knight's Tale while dating. It's one of my favorite movies and he'd never seen it. I said I really liked the name of one of the main characters, Jocelyn. My husband said he liked it too. We jokingly said that our first daughter would have that name. Aaaaand well, when I became pregnant, that was the only name we could come up with. She was Jossalyn before she was born. I changed the spelling because her nickname is Joss, and I prefer the phonetic spelling more than the classic French spelling.

masonsmommy107
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Ds1 is named after dh's dad and my step dad there both named Richard so it was a no brainer and I dreamt up his middle name although it's a common name now (Mason) Ds2 me and dh's song is ps if this is Austin I still love you by Blake Shelton so we chose Austin and his middle name we heard somewhere just liked it with Austin (Chase)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM
First son's name is husband's initials and family middle name on DH's side. Second son's first name is my initial and my grandpa's first name as middle. Jake Taylor and Luke Jennings. Plus they are both 4 letters and end in "ke" and think it's cute for brothers;)
hotmama83227
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM

my first baby is Justin Case. i chose that name because i thought it was funny, and now he's 11yrs old and also thinks its funny lol

my second i named Gillian after Gillian Anderson (Scully from the x-files)

my last baby is Jacob Douglas, Douglas was my dad's 1st name, Jacob is dh's dad's middle name

Mommy4two
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

My oldest is Tristan Brandon, Tristan bc it was the only name we could agree on lol .. We needed a name to go with Brandon... Brandon was my ex-husbands nephew who died on Mother's Day at the age of 3 from a drowning and I found out I was pregnant a week later... 

My youngest is Grace Carolyn, I have ALWAYS loved the name Grace after Princess Grace of Monaco ... Carolyn was my Aunt Didee's middle name .... long story my aunt used to be an employee of Princess Grace's brother, and her first daughter's name was Carolyn ... Grace was born Nov. 7th and I went into labor at just about 5 p.m on Nov. 6th my aunt died Nov.6th 2001 at almost the same min. my labor started!!! My ex wanted to name her something else but I told him no, and I'm glad I did for she is Amazing Grace and my Princess she has fought for her life since she was conceived "no joke" ... 

If I ever have any more kids God bless the man I get with bc I already know what I want the names to be Lucas Joseph ... nickname would be Lucky "fortunate" 

Girl would be Iris Elizabeth Fawn "Fawn is my middle name" or Christine Elizabeth Fawn ... 

TeamTARDIS
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
In Celtic!

I love it!
I am a Potter Head too! I call him Felix Felicis as a pet name!

Quoting Mazi184:

I like it I like it! When I think of Felix I think of the lucky potion, Felix Felicis, from Harry Potter (yeah, I'm a potterhead lol)

So it sounds like a lucky name to me! :)

What language does bear mean Aruthur? Dh is dead set on naming our next boy Bear something... But I think Bear might be a little to our there for me lol.

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

Well I was told we were having a girl but had a back up boys name. When the doctor said 'it's a boy' we thought we would name him our back up name but it didn't fit.

We spent the day watching him and both ended up randomly choosing Felix (which wasnt on our list)

Felix means happy and it really fits. Arthur means bear so his name means Happy Bear!

Edmund is the English version of my dh's name Eamonn and it sounded nice.

Felix Arthur Edmund completely fits him!

Quoting Mazi184:

I might have to rewatch it sometime lol. Yeah people always comment on it, and assume I love Tom cruise, haha!

Do you have a story behind your sons name?

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

I seriously dislike Tom Cruise (won't watch any of his new stuff) but I loved his character!

I bet you get compliments on his name all the time!

Quoting Mazi184:

Thanks! I dunno, I'm not the biggest Tom Cruise fan to begin with so I kinda just watched it because I felt like I should (since I named my kid Maverick and all)- lol I was underwhelmed with it all.

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

I think Maverick is the coolest name (but then I loved Top Gun!)

Quoting Mazi184:

My ds's name is Maverick James

It has nothing to do with Tom Cruise or TopGun lol, I didn't even watch it untill recently (hated it)

Anyways, when I worked at a day care there was a little boy named Maverick, and I just fell in love with the name.

I also just wanted a more traditional name for his middle, and I liked James.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)