Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking at my family tree (dads side) today and learned something.

My first known ancestor was edward scarfe (not my last name) he was born in the isle of man and was of norse descent. His son was born where north carolina is now in the 1600s. He later changed his last name. My great grandparents (grandpas parents) were third cousins my mamaws mom and papaws mom were sisters they both married descendants of edward scarfe (I had trouble finding how the husbands were related to each other) so they ended up with the same last name. My mamaw and papaw had different last names. They didnt know they were cousins til after they married. I had trouble finding more info than that. Mamaw and papaw died when I was 6. I still remember them they raised 8 kids some live in tn some in michigan. Im gonna try to find out more this stuff interests me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Replies (11-18):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM
We traced my moms side back to Grace Omally, female pirate and whore, lol.. And through tons of shaman in our native history, that was difficult, lol...

My biological father, well, when I try to search his family history, it stops at my grandfather, hmm! Its like they appeared out if thin air... But I do know he's on the rolls, half native, but lol, there's nothing...
CampClan
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM
My ex husband's family (both mom & dad side) has done a ton of research too! Campbell is a Scottish name. When the Campbell Clan (ex's father's side) invaded Scotland they pretty much pillaged & plunder & killed everyone in their path. They came across some land owned by the McVicker Clan (ex's mom's side). They (McVickers) willing gave up their land in order to save their lives. It was pretty cool to hear this story seeing as his mom & dad met just over 40 years ago in Cambridge, Ohio!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM
How do you find so much stuff out?I would love to do that!! Any sites that help?? I would love to find more info about my dads moms family, I know his dad was like a mobster or something and something about great ancestors were Vikings but my grandmother wont talk about any of it (she had amnesia from a trauma and I don't think she remembers much). Any tips about search engines etc. Would be awesome!!
Aireeahnah
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I'm sorry but I think douche waffle is the best thing I have eve read in my life.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

My Oma spent a ton of money to have a geneologist compile our family history for us.
We got back to the 1000's with a certain King Conrad who was SUCH a douchewaffle that his own people murdered him xD

Guh-REEEAT! D: 

Angelanscalf89
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

actually some very very distant relatives of mine actually made a website and theyve been compiling it and I stumbled across it. so sorry Im no help

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you find so much stuff out?I would love to do that!! Any sites that help?? I would love to find more info about my dads moms family, I know his dad was like a mobster or something and something about great ancestors were Vikings but my grandmother wont talk about any of it (she had amnesia from a trauma and I don't think she remembers much). Any tips about search engines etc. Would be awesome!!

Do you believe in the art of growing old

Do you believe that rock n roll can save your soul

Do you believe in everything you do

Cuz when you do that's when it all comes back to you

Before you think about yourself

Think of someone else

Do it for yourself

And do it for someone else

when you love someone- kid rock

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I can NOT think of a more creative and insulting name for someone :)

Quoting Aireeahnah:

I'm sorry but I think douche waffle is the best thing I have eve read in my life.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

My Oma spent a ton of money to have a geneologist compile our family history for us.
We got back to the 1000's with a certain King Conrad who was SUCH a douchewaffle that his own people murdered him xD

Guh-REEEAT! D: 

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM
We got dna tests done to find out our family origins and wow were we surprised! My mom has always just said she was mexican but she has blue eyes and red hair..lol.. My dads family we knew was from spain but thats it. Im back to 1600's on my dads side and they were spaniards and basque! My moms side her dna revealed she was scandinavian and spaniard along with jewish.. My dna test came out mostly european but I was more british isles than spaniard!! We always thought we were just mexican but someone lied.lol.. Now I dont know what to call myself. ppl never believed my mom was mexican(I guess cuz shes not) lol and I dont look it either, I definately take the middle eastern jewish look most. I think the british isles dna is mostly my basque side as they all settled there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM
That's ok&thank you anyways! I'm going to try looking to see what I can find today, I really want to know more about my family especially my dad's side (:

Quoting Angelanscalf89:

actually some very very distant relatives of mine actually made a website and theyve been compiling it and I stumbled across it. so sorry Im no help

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured