Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would you let your daughter have this sort of party

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 1044 Replies
50 moms liked this

I'm quite curious. I see it on here a lot about some moms not letting their son play with "girl" toys or wear "girly" clothes (I'm putting that word in quotes because I personally don't believe in gender specific toys or clothes). . . so what about girls? Does that apply to them? Can your girls play with "boys" toys or wear "boyish" clothes?

My daughter, 2, LOVES Monster Jam. She loves Monster Trucks & wants a Monster Jam birthday party. She will be 3 next month so we are in the midst of planning it. We've found some cool Monster Jam plates & cups. We are getting a Madusa (monster jam truck. It's her favorite) for her cake. 

So if your daughter wanted a more "boyish" party would you let them? Would you let your son have a "girlish" party.

here is the party stuff she wants

This is Madusa. I think I'll make a cake & crumble cookies on top to look like dirt, lay down some "smashed" hot wheels & place a toy Madusa on top. I'm not really sure. I'm not that creative when it comes to cakes (maybe someone has a better idea?)

& a bonus pic, my beautiful daughter. Ignore her bedhead. She just woke up & wanted to show off her new monster truck to her cousin.  She had slept with it the night before & I had promised her in the morning we'd take a pic of her with it

and another bonus because she's adorable. See. She likes "girly" things too ;)

"I give You my apathy, I give you all of me, I want Your symphony, singing in all that I am, at the top of my lungs, I'm giving it back, so I lay my head back down, & I lift my hands & I pray to be only Yours, I pray to be only Yours, I know now You're my only hope" Switchfoot

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britmichele
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM
82 moms liked this
She's beautiful. I'd give her whatever she wanted :D
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM
3 moms liked this

That's a pic of your daughter?? She looks very boyish imo.

LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM
3 moms liked this
I have no issue either way. Dd has girl and boy toys. She is more of a girly girl with clothes though. But yeah I don't get the big deal.
danie24
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM
80 moms liked this

For sure!

My daughter wanted a "Mario Bros" birthday party for her 5th. Most people think that's a boy's theme.

My husband and I had so much fun putting it together.

Here are the "Mario Question Boxes" I made.. I filled them with chocolate coins and star stickers (to go with the mario theme) and other prizes like decks of cards, slinkies, soft balls, and other toys.

We used them for prizes for the games. I made a shit load of these - lol

Here are the "Mario theme" treat bags. These super cute canvas bags were 3 for a dollar at the dollar store.. and the felt star stickers were like 50 for a dollar. I just stuck one on each bag and added eyes! We filled them with noise makers, puzzles, mazes, treats, etc.

Some decorations, banners, etc. Mostly made from bristol board, construction paper, glue and sparkley roap from the dollar store:

One says "Tyler is 1-UP" and the other is starts and number 5's.

Below is one of the games (I forgot to take pictures of all the games I made.. damn!) - this one was called "Yoshi Egg Toss". I made the poster with bristol board, construction paper and glue.. and one of the star stickers.. all from the dollar store. I was going to do Bowser but this guy looked easier :) lol -- for the eggs.. I tapped a hole in the bottom of the eggs, dumped all the yolk out.. washed really well with boiling water and soap.. let air dry.. then filled with confettie and glued a small piece of tissue paper to the bottom, then colored on the spots. In about half of the eggs I also put in a star sticker.

The kids took turns picking out an eggs and throwing it against the bad guy smasking the egg into a large tupperware container below. Whoever had a star in their egg got to pick out one of the "Mario Question Box" prizes.

Another game we played was "Pop the Boo".. we blew up a bunch of white balloons and drew pictures of the Boo Ghost. Each balloon was filled with confettie.. and a few balloons had prizes inside, too.

The kids took turns popping the balloons with a long stick with a tack at the end.

Here is the cake my husband and I made and decorated.. LOL

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on May. 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM
6 moms liked this

Yup that's my daughter. She loves Monster Truck shirts  but she loves tutus also. She's a bit of both I guess

Quoting Anonymous:

That's a pic of your daughter?? She looks very boyish imo.

"I give You my apathy, I give you all of me, I want Your symphony, singing in all that I am, at the top of my lungs, I'm giving it back, so I lay my head back down, & I lift my hands & I pray to be only Yours, I pray to be only Yours, I know now You're my only hope" Switchfoot

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM
11 moms liked this
"This" is not parenthesis, it's quotations.

My oldest dd had a Mickey Mouse party. My youngest dd had an Elmo party. My Little Man had a Dora party. My kids get what they want, regardless of gender stereotypes.
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. I would let my daughter have whatever kind of party she wanted. She wanted a WWE party once.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on May. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

thus why I edited it but good job being quick enough to catch my error. 

Quoting Anonymous:

"This" is not parenthesis, it's quotations.

My oldest dd had a Mickey Mouse party. My youngest dd had an Elmo party. My Little Man had a Dora party. My kids get what they want, regardless of gender stereotypes.

chelsone
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM
4 moms liked this
I would let her. My sister went to a monster jam rally as a first date with this guy. She wanted to go. She took loys of pics and said it was awesome. Shes super girly outside of work, does hair, makeup, wears heels, but shes in the army and loves guns. Lol. I think it will be okay. And my sister turns 23 this year. So if your adorable 3 year old wants a more boyish themed party, go for it. The one thats her favorite is pink. I think girls should be able to have fun. If shes happy, who cares?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM
3 moms liked this
I stick to gender roles..so no...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)