Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would you let your daughter have this sort of party

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm quite curious. I see it on here a lot about some moms not letting their son play with "girl" toys or wear "girly" clothes (I'm putting that word in quotes because I personally don't believe in gender specific toys or clothes). . . so what about girls? Does that apply to them? Can your girls play with "boys" toys or wear "boyish" clothes?

My daughter, 2, LOVES Monster Jam. She loves Monster Trucks & wants a Monster Jam birthday party. She will be 3 next month so we are in the midst of planning it. We've found some cool Monster Jam plates & cups. We are getting a Madusa (monster jam truck. It's her favorite) for her cake. 

So if your daughter wanted a more "boyish" party would you let them? Would you let your son have a "girlish" party.

here is the party stuff she wants

This is Madusa. I think I'll make a cake & crumble cookies on top to look like dirt, lay down some "smashed" hot wheels & place a toy Madusa on top. I'm not really sure. I'm not that creative when it comes to cakes (maybe someone has a better idea?)

& a bonus pic, my beautiful daughter. Ignore her bedhead. She just woke up & wanted to show off her new monster truck to her cousin.  She had slept with it the night before & I had promised her in the morning we'd take a pic of her with it

and another bonus because she's adorable. See. She likes "girly" things too ;)

"I give You my apathy, I give you all of me, I want Your symphony, singing in all that I am, at the top of my lungs, I'm giving it back, so I lay my head back down, & I lift my hands & I pray to be only Yours, I pray to be only Yours, I know now You're my only hope" Switchfoot

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
babygirl_1012
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I let my daughter play with whatever she wants. I hate parents who dont let their kids play with toys because it has a specific gender tied to it. I had to buy a new juice mug for her lunch, and she had the options, what did she choose? Iron man, that is her favorite  hero right now, and of course I bought it for her. Your lil girl looks so happy! =)

MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd has had a super hero bday party, & was green lantern for halloween... She likes super heros & does a lot of boy stuff..

I dont care....

We will be "more careful" with DS, I have to admit Id feel odd if he wanted to wear skirts to go shopping in..But other than that, I think we will be pretty open minded about it.

AFWifeNMom
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM
My DD had a Diego party when she turned 3. She loved it!
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on May. 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM
5 moms liked this

*sigh* Why do people worry so much about gender stereotypes? We (society) really needs to let these preconcieved ideas die a very much needed death. 

As long as daughter is happy, that's all that matters!!

Plus-size-mommy
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Go for it, she will love it!! I was the mom whose son had a baby doll and a play kitchen when he was younger so I'm all for veering away from the sterotypical stuff.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Any kind of birthday is fine.  Would I let my daughter wear boy clothes no, I don't want my daughter being mistaken for a boy.  Nor would I let my boy wear girls clothing either for the same reason.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on May. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
10 moms liked this

I'm not going to debate my daughter's looks.  She looks a beautiful GIRL to me so *shrugs* it's ok if some anon wants to say otherwise.

Quoting Anonymous:

How am I being insulting? Do you think she likes like a typical girly-girl? She doesn't. No biggie.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

What a brave soul you are to insult a young child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Annnd nothing. OP daughter looks like a boy. That is all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Annnd?
Quoting Anonymous:

That's a pic of your daughter?? She looks very boyish imo.

"I give You my apathy, I give you all of me, I want Your symphony, singing in all that I am, at the top of my lungs, I'm giving it back, so I lay my head back down, & I lift my hands & I pray to be only Yours, I pray to be only Yours, I know now You're my only hope" Switchfoot

2metalbabies
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
When I was a kid I played with transformers and he man! I remember when I was in 3rd grade, all my little friends wanted cabbage patch kids for Christmas and I wanted the transformer that turned into a boombox so bad! I was so pissed when I got a damn cabbage patch kid, lmfao! My oldest dd went through a hot wheels faze, my youngest woukd rather get Legos than barbies (even though she does love her barbies). A couple of years ago, my youngest wanted zombie Polly pockets, so my mom got her a mad scientist lab and she loved it. Kids are kids, and I say it it makes them happy, let them play with whatever makes them happy.
missymackie
by Mrs. Dixon on May. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
She's beautiful! And yes I would never limit what my child was interested in, so long as it's age appropriate. My daughter is turning one and were having a Minnie Mouse theme for her birthday but she couldn't care less lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM

For my DD's 14th b-day she choose the Marvel comic book characters. I had spiderman, superman, the Hulk, you name it. Its her b-day get her what she wants.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)