Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

smoking cigarettes and pregnancy

Posted by   + Show Post
How do you guys feel about pregnant women smoking cigarettes?
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Replies (271-280):
kaylaybaby666
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I don't like the taste

Quoting Anonymous:

Just a question for you (and this is coming from a smoker who is trying desperately to quit while I'm pregnant). If you think smoking doesn't cause any harm, then why don't YOU smoke?

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

My first child came out to be 8lbs 3 oz and i am around my mom who smokes so what harm has it done

Quoting vvinkyloafer:

How does it make you feel that you are not just dumb, but corrupting your unborn child with your horrendous habits?

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Awe thank you :)

Quoting vvinkyloafer:

Holy shit.

Congratulations. You have surpassed 504bbymami and are now the dumbest active poster on Mom Confessions.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

I personally dont see the harm in smoking while pregnant

Quoting Mrsmayaguy:

i would assume the majority of moms would agree this is just a reallyhorrible thing to do to your unborn child

everyone knows its horrible to do that to a fetus/baby

nicotine addiction is hard but get over it and get help for the sake of your child

xtina8817
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I think its awful. And I was a smoker. I quit cold turkey and haven't touched one at all. If someone is trying to cut back and quit, that's awesome but so many don't even try
Ali5683
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Quiting smoking is hard, but not THAT hard and it won't kill you. Unlike alcoholism. If an alcoholic just quits suddenly, they will die. A smoker will not. It's a lame ass excuse to say "it's too hard to quit smoking" just to stay smoking while pregnant! If a mother can't quit smoking during her pregnancy then she has no business being a mother because she apparently does not have what it takes to make sacrifices for her child which is necessary for the rest of her life!

I know A LOT about addiction. I not only grew up around it, my family owns 2 of the top residential rehab centers in the country! No one will win this argument with me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do some research. It actually is a harder habit to kick than a lot of street drugs. To assume a smoker doesnt love her kids is beyond ridiculous

Quoting Ali5683:

So, because I've never been a smoker I don't understand addiction? That's ignorant. You have no clue what I've been through. And yes, it's easier to quit smoking than you think. If you love your child then you'll quit. It's a damn cigarette, not a street drug!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not trying to argue that smoking while pregnant is a healthy choice, but until you experience that addiction, you can't truly appreciate how difficult it is to quit.  If I could just stop, I would.  Trust me.  Several health care professionals I've spoken with have agreed that the withdrawl can be WORSE for the baby than smoking.  It really isn't as easy as flipping a switch and becoming a nonsmoker.

Quoting Ali5683:

No, but that has nothing to do with the fact that smoking while pregnant is asking for trouble and is selfish!

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you ever been a smoker?

Quoting Ali5683:

You're the one that said stupid, not me. But, yes they're stupid. How on earth could you actually believe it's ok and not harmful!??! You have to be an unanonymous troll. This is just sickening. It's selfish. Do you honestly not see how it's selfish? Are you aware of the serious risks that come along with smoking while pregnant? Any mother who is willing to risk the life of a baby for there own addiction is selfish! Being a parent means making sacrifices.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

I know what i asked and i put my opinion back. Im not insulting anyone. I dont think someone is stupid for smoking while pregnant

Quoting Ali5683:

Seriously? So smoking while you're pregnant is not stupid? You asked for opinions. Interesting how you ladies insult only those who don't agree with you. It's disgusting and selfish to smoke while pregnant! Bottom line!

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

That's stupid

Quoting Ali5683:

They're selfish and shouldn't become a parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on May. 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I'm done talking to you.  You have no idea what you are talking about.  If you've never been a smoker, don't try to tell me that it isn't "THAT hard".  You cannot compare one addiction to another.  Trust me.  You have NO foundation to make that comment, and I'd bet money that I'm a better mother than a lot of nonsmokers.  

Quoting Ali5683:

Quiting smoking is hard, but not THAT hard and it won't kill you. Unlike alcoholism. If an alcoholic just quits suddenly, they will die. A smoker will not. It's a lame ass excuse to say "it's too hard to quit smoking" just to stay smoking while pregnant! If a mother can't quit smoking during her pregnancy then she has no business being a mother because she apparently does not have what it takes to make sacrifices for her child which is necessary for the rest of her life!

I know A LOT about addiction. I not only grew up around it, my family owns 2 of the top residential rehab centers in the country! No one will win this argument with me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do some research. It actually is a harder habit to kick than a lot of street drugs. To assume a smoker doesnt love her kids is beyond ridiculous

Quoting Ali5683:

So, because I've never been a smoker I don't understand addiction? That's ignorant. You have no clue what I've been through. And yes, it's easier to quit smoking than you think. If you love your child then you'll quit. It's a damn cigarette, not a street drug!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not trying to argue that smoking while pregnant is a healthy choice, but until you experience that addiction, you can't truly appreciate how difficult it is to quit.  If I could just stop, I would.  Trust me.  Several health care professionals I've spoken with have agreed that the withdrawl can be WORSE for the baby than smoking.  It really isn't as easy as flipping a switch and becoming a nonsmoker.

Quoting Ali5683:

No, but that has nothing to do with the fact that smoking while pregnant is asking for trouble and is selfish!

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you ever been a smoker?

Quoting Ali5683:

You're the one that said stupid, not me. But, yes they're stupid. How on earth could you actually believe it's ok and not harmful!??! You have to be an unanonymous troll. This is just sickening. It's selfish. Do you honestly not see how it's selfish? Are you aware of the serious risks that come along with smoking while pregnant? Any mother who is willing to risk the life of a baby for there own addiction is selfish! Being a parent means making sacrifices.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

I know what i asked and i put my opinion back. Im not insulting anyone. I dont think someone is stupid for smoking while pregnant

Quoting Ali5683:

Seriously? So smoking while you're pregnant is not stupid? You asked for opinions. Interesting how you ladies insult only those who don't agree with you. It's disgusting and selfish to smoke while pregnant! Bottom line!

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

That's stupid

Quoting Ali5683:

They're selfish and shouldn't become a parent.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on May. 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM
My sister snuck out for a cigarette while at the hospital, and the doctor knew due to the change on my niece's heart rate. It DOES cause issues for babies.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

I personally dont see the harm in smoking while pregnant

Quoting Mrsmayaguy:

i would assume the majority of moms would agree this is just a reallyhorrible thing to do to your unborn child

everyone knows its horrible to do that to a fetus/baby

nicotine addiction is hard but get over it and get help for the sake of your child

QuirkyMom26
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Is this really questionable?

I find it gross and immature.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on May. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I think it is disgusting and selfish. I used to smoke, but I did quit with every pregnancy.
LoveMyKBabies
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM
It's bad & shouldn't be done. That being said, I smoked during all of my pregnancies. I cut back as much as I could, but couldn't fully quit. Not proud of it, thankfully my kids we're/are all healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on May. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM
My dhs cousin is 7 months smoking almost half a pack a day. She smoked a whole pack in the beginning andgradually cut back. It absolutely disgusts me how a mother could do this to her baby. It just shows true colors
Josie_P
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I think it's disgusting and have no respect for women that do it. I will never understand taking a risk with your baby's health. You can smoke your own life away but once there is a child inside of you, why does the enjoyment of smoking trump the health of your child? I don't get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN