Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

smoking cigarettes and pregnancy

Posted by   + Show Post
How do you guys feel about pregnant women smoking cigarettes?
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Replies (301-310):
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Thank you. I hate that I know that I'm pregnant yet I'm still smoking. But I also know that what I'm doing is definitely better than smoking throughout the entire pregnancy itself.

I've quit smoking MANY times. I sincerely hope that this was actually be IT.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're doing it right. Cutting back slowly keeps the baby from having withdraws and he or she will have time to recover from any amount of damage done.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

I'm 8wks pregnant and smoke 3 cigarettes a day.

One month ago today I found out that I'm pregnant, and at that time I was smoking 1-1.5pks per DAY. I tried quitting cold turkey and my anxiety shot through the roof, I was moody as hell and wasn't a very nice mom or person in general. So I went back to smoking but cutting down.

I'm hoping here in the next week (or less) I'm down to 2 cigarettes a day.

I used to judge (I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant with my son and had no problems whatsoever-- but NOTE... I was 12wks when I found out), but now that I'm struggling with it, I understand. Midwife is actually quite proud of me for doing so well. It is my goal that by the beginning of my second trimester (June 11) I will have quit completely.

HaleyCovington
by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I think it's stupid and selfish.

ashybaby87
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM

This,

Quoting meg0620:

It disgusts me that a mother would be that selfish.

Eta: i wouldn't say anything to them though because its their choice, but i secretly judge.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on May. 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM
I cut back majorly to half- 1 a day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on May. 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

You can do it :) Keep your faith that you're stronger than the cigarettes and be proud of every little step you take. Good luck!!!

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Thank you. I hate that I know that I'm pregnant yet I'm still smoking. But I also know that what I'm doing is definitely better than smoking throughout the entire pregnancy itself.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're doing it right. Cutting back slowly keeps the baby from having withdraws and he or she will have time to recover from any amount of damage done.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

One month ago today I found out that I'm pregnant, and at that time I was smoking 1-1.5pks per DAY. I tried quitting cold turkey and my anxiety shot through the roof, I was moody as hell and wasn't a very nice mom or person in general. So I went back to smoking but cutting down.

I used to judge (I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant with my son and had no problems whatsoever-- but NOTE... I was 12wks when I found out), but now that I'm struggling with it, I understand. Midwife is actually quite proud of me for doing so well. It is my goal that by the beginning of my second trimester (June 11) I will have quit completely.

my4kids274
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Honestly it is really none of my business.  I have no right to judge.

When I found out I was pregnant I quit immediately cold turkey.  I have friends that cut back significantly but just could not stop.  Quitting is not as easy for some people as it was for me. 

awsmnss26
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a smoker and would quit if I found out I was pregnant although I know I would sneak a few during pregnancy. But I would definitely try my hardest not to smoke at all. And by the time the baby came I would be smoke free :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on May. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I think u are a shitty mom if u smoke while pregnant. It basically says u love cigarettes more then your baby. By the way not you op but people who smoke u
my4kids274
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

You will be able to do it.  Stay strong. 

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on May. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I probably wouldn't say anything but I would think that they were really selfish. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN