Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

smoking cigarettes and pregnancy

Posted by   + Show Post
How do you guys feel about pregnant women smoking cigarettes?
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Replies (311-318):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I was with you until you said soda. Coke settles my stomach.

Quoting Mrsmayaguy:

Ok, so do you not believe just about every doctor in the U.S. that will tell you its not a "good" thing for the baby? Are they lying?  There are over 4000 chemicals in a cigarette like cynanide and other carenogens. I know I spelled that last word wrong.

I know moms smoke and have healthy baby. Thank God for that. But some moms smoke and have jacked up babies too. Thats not a good risk. 

Look Im a lush. I LOVE WINE. I just went to the winery last week for dinner. I drank wine maybe 5 nights a week sometimes less. Im sayin everyone has a vice but the day I found I out I was pregnant I havent had a sip. Jan 5th!  Now I do not believe that if I have one glass my child will die but my baby is the most important human on the planet aside from my other kids so....why take the risk.
TO me my child is more than worth abstaining and if I couldnt abstain from wine, or cig, or weed, or even soda for less than 9 months.

Then I may have an addiction problem. Just sayin 

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

I personally dont see the harm in smoking while pregnant

Quoting Mrsmayaguy:

i would assume the majority of moms would agree this is just a reallyhorrible thing to do to your unborn child

everyone knows its horrible to do that to a fetus/baby

nicotine addiction is hard but get over it and get help for the sake of your child

kurmom
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I hate it, but its not my body or my baby. My SIL and my sister both smoked throughout their pregnancies. It's disgusting. I did mention it once to my sister but just made her mad. My sisters baby was born very small and her doc says its bc she smoked. :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM
this. my sils baby was very small about 7weeks early and had lots of problems. all cigaretre related.
I think shes a selfish B to do that to her child and then expect people to feel bad for her because of it. I told her straight up i feel bad for her daughter but in no way pitty your selfish ass. she could have quit for her baby she just didnt feel like it. we all told her ahe needed to stop and shed always say itll be fine my babies fine. nope ur babies not fine and its your fault. She got upset becaise the whole family , including her mother who smokes a ton but quit while she was pregnant, told her its her fault she was selfish and it cuda been prevented.

Quoting kurmom:

I hate it, but its not my body or my baby. My SIL and my sister both smoked throughout their pregnancies. It's disgusting. I did mention it once to my sister but just made her mad. My sisters baby was born very small and her doc says its bc she smoked. :(
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I think smoking in general is trashy. But i think women who smoke while pregnant are horrible people who dont give a shit about their kids (not talking about those who wean themselves off due to heavy smoking, but those who dont change)
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Have you tried the e-ciggs? Dh had a friend who went from smoking 3 packs, plus cigarillos (sp?) and multiple cigars a day, to only using e-cigs with very little nicotine in less than 3months.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Thank you. I hate that I know that I'm pregnant yet I'm still smoking. But I also know that what I'm doing is definitely better than smoking throughout the entire pregnancy itself.

I've quit smoking MANY times. I sincerely hope that this was actually be IT.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're doing it right. Cutting back slowly keeps the baby from having withdraws and he or she will have time to recover from any amount of damage done.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

I'm 8wks pregnant and smoke 3 cigarettes a day.

One month ago today I found out that I'm pregnant, and at that time I was smoking 1-1.5pks per DAY. I tried quitting cold turkey and my anxiety shot through the roof, I was moody as hell and wasn't a very nice mom or person in general. So I went back to smoking but cutting down.

I'm hoping here in the next week (or less) I'm down to 2 cigarettes a day.

I used to judge (I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant with my son and had no problems whatsoever-- but NOTE... I was 12wks when I found out), but now that I'm struggling with it, I understand. Midwife is actually quite proud of me for doing so well. It is my goal that by the beginning of my second trimester (June 11) I will have quit completely.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM
You cant be serious. How old are you?

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

I personally dont see the harm in smoking while pregnant

Quoting Mrsmayaguy:

i would assume the majority of moms would agree this is just a reallyhorrible thing to do to your unborn child

everyone knows its horrible to do that to a fetus/baby

nicotine addiction is hard but get over it and get help for the sake of your child

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I had quit back in October with an e-cigg but it was not the same. I started smoking again 2.5m later.

I have not had a cigarette now in a month.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Have you tried the e-ciggs? Dh had a friend who went from smoking 3 packs, plus cigarillos (sp?) and multiple cigars a day, to only using e-cigs with very little nicotine in less than 3months.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Thank you. I hate that I know that I'm pregnant yet I'm still smoking. But I also know that what I'm doing is definitely better than smoking throughout the entire pregnancy itself.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're doing it right. Cutting back slowly keeps the baby from having withdraws and he or she will have time to recover from any amount of damage done.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

One month ago today I found out that I'm pregnant, and at that time I was smoking 1-1.5pks per DAY. I tried quitting cold turkey and my anxiety shot through the roof, I was moody as hell and wasn't a very nice mom or person in general. So I went back to smoking but cutting down.

I used to judge (I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant with my son and had no problems whatsoever-- but NOTE... I was 12wks when I found out), but now that I'm struggling with it, I understand. Midwife is actually quite proud of me for doing so well. It is my goal that by the beginning of my second trimester (June 11) I will have quit completely.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Thats wonderful! Congrats. I didnt realize this was an older post when I opened it lol.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

I had quit back in October with an e-cigg but it was not the same. I started smoking again 2.5m later.

I have not had a cigarette now in a month.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured