Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LIFE AS YOU KNOW IT IS OVER!

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 46 Replies
So let's be hypothetical, no bashing or theorists, just hypothetical. And partly I want to be more self sufficient so I need ideas .lol.

The all mighty dollar takes a shit. You go to the bank and the ATM is down. You go to use a teller and the doors are locked. You call the bank and there is a recording about how everything is frozen until further notice. You hop online and every news authority you can Google is streaming with headline about the collapse of the financial system.
You're ass is broke. And you're going to be for a while.
What do you do?
Shortly thereafter your utilities shit down because no one is monitering the plants without pay. How do you compensate?
Can't drive your car because we can't buy oil, how do you get around?
Grocery stores? Yea those are empty. What do you do for food?
Basic toiletries: deoderant, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, tampons/pads, toilet paper, laundry detergent etc. What's the plan?
Lots of you have little ones, what would you do about clothes and shoes?
Would you start a barter system with anyone?
Do you know a valuable trade?
Would you move?
What would you do about looters?
Would you homeschool? Or trade a service or good for a tutor?
What about medical? What would be considered reason enough to seek out a doctor vs what do you think you could handle yourself? How would you pay the doctor?
Birth control!
Any other scenarios I have left out?
We are a country that relies on so many people to get things done for us, whether we realise it or not. What would you do if the only person to rely on was you, you couldn't use money, and how would you do it?
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amandae21
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I move to the mountains, where my parents live. There's enough room for my family. They have 10 acres. People there have trade skills. So does my family.

I already homeschool.

We all garden. She has chickens and horses. Goats are easily procured.

Gold would become currency (and is now in a way - gold will always be currency).

The doctors where my mom lives would barter.

I sew. There's always hand-me-downs. I also know how to crochet and knit. People know how to spin yarn. Some people even know how to make fabric the old fashioned way. It's a novelty nowadays but in the event of shit hitting the fan, it would come in handy. There are still blacksmiths too.

Hunting... my parents family know how to hunt. We would learn. We have buttloads of ammo and DHs dad knows how to make reloads (he isn't far from my parents).

My family preserves food.

About toiletries and household products... the basics are made from borax, vinegar and baking soda (which becomes washing soda)... these things have been around for hundreds of years, I don't see them disappearing in the event of economic collapse.

Trades I know: growing food, preserving food, sewing, knitting, crochet... I'm handy with tools too.

Looters? Yeah. I dare ya.

Oh, and I just read online how to build an adobe oven.

smurfbitebug
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I seriously question if getting together with a bunch of other people (or a "colony") is actually the wisest choice you can make in a situation like this. Even if it is extended family.

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I think that self sufficiency is best. Immediate family I would congregate. Just neighbors and friends? It woild really depend on who.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

I seriously question if getting together with a bunch of other people (or a "colony") is actually the wisest choice you can make in a situation like this. Even if it is extended family.

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Fantastic answer lol
I'd probably do something along the same lines as far as where to go. I'm learning all these things though like preserving and knitting and the like. Slowly lol

Quoting amandae21:

I move to the mountains, where my parents live. There's enough room for my family. They have 10 acres. People there have trade skills. So does my family.

I already homeschool.

We all garden. She has chickens and horses. Goats are easily procured.

Gold would become currency (and is now in a way - gold will always be currency).

The doctors where my mom lives would barter.

I sew. There's always hand-me-downs. I also know how to crochet and knit. People know how to spin yarn. Some people even know how to make fabric the old fashioned way. It's a novelty nowadays but in the event of shit hitting the fan, it would come in handy. There are still blacksmiths too.

Hunting... my parents family know how to hunt. We would learn. We have buttloads of ammo and DHs dad knows how to make reloads (he isn't far from my parents).

My family preserves food.

About toiletries and household products... the basics are made from borax, vinegar and baking soda (which becomes washing soda)... these things have been around for hundreds of years, I don't see them disappearing in the event of economic collapse.

Trades I know: growing food, preserving food, sewing, knitting, crochet... I'm handy with tools too.

Looters? Yeah. I dare ya.

Oh, and I just read online how to build an adobe oven.

chane_L
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

well here in atlanta burbs we wouldn't fare as well as we would back home in hawaii

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Honestly; I would probably just curl up and wait to be murdered... I don't mind being self-sufficient. But my worst nightmare is looters. and we live within 1/4 mile of the mainstreet in town so yah... they're coming for us first

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:47 PM

One of my good friends is a doctor, so that would certainly help.

I have many survival skills, and could hunt, plant, forage, fish, etc... I could also make things for trade.

My daughter, however, would suffer, unless we had a way to trade for her seizure medication.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm prepped and ready, contingency plan set, guns ready, bring on SHTF because I'm tired of my job lol
kajira
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I live in the middle of no where -we'd start a garden, and trade meat/eggs for other things.

I just traded 2 goats to my neighbors that they intend to eat, for 2 baby goats, that if we bred, could produce offpsring to eat later, and give us milk and give us the ability to trade.

I'd probably get some sheep and chickens. we have the room - we also have a fire pit outside. We'd probably have to get wood on a ergular basis... but for the most part, I could live with out much...

The only thing that would be a problem is the -20 degree weather in the winter.

TheDoctorsWife
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I'd be screwed. I have no survival skills

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured