Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No Rich Child Left Behind

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

This came out on the NYTimes website a few days ago.

It says that the education gap between the rich and the middle class has gotten much bigger since the 80s. They don't see a huge difference in achievement when the kids are in school, but the rich kids are coming in to kinder better prepared. The gap narrows during the school year and widens again in the summer.

In light of that, do you think preschool is something that should be pushed for all kids?

I find myself disheartened when I see the antipathy for preschool on here. That's one of the best ways to put your kid ahead, IMO, and I really don't get it. And it sometimes seems like the families who most need it are the ones who don't want to do it.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I think that poorer areas pay less money in property taxes and their schools suffer from it, no amount of head start or pre school is going to fix a fucked up school. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM

All my kids went to Pre-k and it was very beneficial

vvinkyloafer
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM
I never went to preschool and I came from a higher-income family. My mom taught the four of us well. As for me, it all depends on how much she will know when the time comes. I'm open to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this

They do push preschool for the poor kids. Another FREE program for them called head start.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

My kid was way ahead going into public school and she didn't go to preschool. I taught her at home.

ETA: We aren't rich, but I was able to stay at home and focus on my kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM

i think kids should go to preschool. hell were considered poor and our dds are going to be just as prepared as the "rich kids" thanks to abc mouse and us actually working with her learning. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM

My DD didn't go to preschool. About half of her class did. When she started kindergarten, they put the kids into groups for reading, math and writing: strawberries, apples and bananas, they go in that order. For math and writing she was an apple (average) for reading she was a strawberry. Now she is a strawberry in all of them. The thing is most, of the kids who were bananas went to VPK (free preschool)

dx1066
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM

At least one year of preschool is mandatory for kids to get into Kindergarten where I live.  I think it's a good idea.  We have the private preschool that costs money, and the free preschool paid for by the state at the old high school.  Either way, it's preschool.  The private just has a better teacher to student ratio.  I'd say neither one is necessarily better than the other though.

Country_Momma89
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I'm very pro preschool. My oldest will start in the fall.

enlightened_24
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM

My son didnt go to pre-k but we were turned down for some reason...I taught him everything he would have learned in pre-k and his kinder teacher said he was as smart or smarter than those who went to pre-k. It has a lot to do with parenting...We never used babytalk and we constantly tell him new things in an effort to keep him motivated to learn new things on his own and it works!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)