Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you hire a birth photographer?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 384 Replies
1 mom liked this

Moms Who Allow Birth Photographers in the Delivery Room Must Be Out of Their Minds

by Mary Fischer

laboring mom

The birth of our children is one of, if not the most significant moments in our lives, which is why it's only natural for us to want to commemorate the experience by taking pictures.

But there are some couples who are going one step further than whipping out their digital cameras. The practice of hiring a birth photographer seems to be on the rise, proving that there are some things people just don't consider sacred anymore.

And when I say birth photographer, I'm not talking about a nice lady who comes in and takes pics of you holding your newborn baby and looking all happy and glowing. Nope. Birth photographers snap shots of the entire process -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. (Yikes.)

As you will see in the video clip below, some couples want to be able to see a play-by-play of the entire birth, which is why they let photographers take upwards of 600-900 photos from the time they check into the hospital until the time the baby is born.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

Ok, am I the only one who finds birth photography more than a little bit invasive -- and kind of creepy?

When I gave birth to my son, I wouldn't even let my own husband take pictures of the actual labor and delivery process. Ok, so maybe there were one or two shots of me lying there in the bed hooked up to the monitor giving a big ole' thumbs up before the pitocin really kicked in, but after that? There was no way in hell I wanted any sort of camera within a good 100 feet of me.

I was in excrutiating pain. I was sweating. I was whining. And right before my little guy made his entrance into the world, the doctor informed me that she was going to have to perform an episiotomy because I was about to "tear up top," which is apparently really bad. Um, why on earth would I want to relive any of those horrific moments by having them captured on film? It was bad enough experiencing it once, let alone having a permanent reminder of how much my body went through during 24 hours of labor.

After I was all stitched up and my baby was placed in my arms, I finally let the camera come out again. But the only person taking pictures was my husband -- which is the way it should be.

Back to the birth photographer thing. If snapping shots of the birth isn't bad enough, the fact that a total stranger is doing it is what really weirds me out about this trend. Giving birth is so private and intimate, and it just seems so strange to want someone you barely know in the room getting up close and personal.

But then again, everyone is different, and I guess some parents see hiring a birth photographer as a blessing, since they are able to capture moments that wouldn't be possible to see otherwise. 

To each his own, but personally, I really believe not every single experience in life is meant to be shared with anyone and everyone. When it comes to privacy, I draw the line with random people capturing me in my most vulnerable and emotional state.

Would you hire a birth photographer?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM
6 moms liked this

uh nope

and many hospitals probably wouldn't allow it. I know my delivery floor had a limit of 2 people in the delivery room

Jessicamarquez
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Definitely was looking into them while pregnant but Lucy came in a hurry lol before I could hire
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM
6 moms liked this

I wanted pictures of my delivery because I would LOVE to see my child (ren) being born, but I sure as hell wouldn't hire a complete stranger to take my crotch shots. No thanks.

kysmama08
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this

It's bad enough there are a bunch of nurses and stuff in the room there's no way I could handle a stranger doing it lol. Way to uncomfortable for me.

Zazayam
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM
5 moms liked this

No, I don't want to remember ALL of the details of it. And I can't think of anyone that would want to see those pictures anyway.

supercarp
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM

To photograph the placenta? yech

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM

My mother took pictures that I just deleted as fast as I could. I did not want to see how "big" I had gotten lol

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM
3 moms liked this

I had to deal with my best friend who was in beauty school curling my hair and doing my make-up and I STILL looked like a swollen, pimpled freak of nature.

BlessedMammaof2
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM
I was going too for our homebirth. But between the time I initially looked into it and when I was ready to interview the photographer and inquire about if further the price had increased from $500 to $800. For that I figured I would buy the camera I have always wanted. I didn't necessarily like the idea of a complete stranger viewing my birth either.
Mommy2b2many
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM

My friend is going to be my birth photographer. Just so we can have a few pictures; not where near as crazy as  the people who want play by play shots

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured