Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have You Dealt With This? Worried About When My Son Starts School..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

I have a feeling that my son is going to be one of those kids who is *too smart* for special ed classes but *Not smart enough* for regular classes.

He is VERY smart right now, especially with numbers. But he is also slow to process anything that isn't number related. He was diagnosed as being on the spectrum, but just that DX does not automatically qualify a child for special ed classes here.

I just feel like I am going to be fighting the school when it comes time. Currently he's in a special ed preschool, but next year (in 2014) he will be going to Kindergarten. I don't want him to fall through the cracks and I feel like I have a big fight ahead of me.

I can't afford private school. I'm a single Mom, I work 2 jobs and take my son to countless appointments so there is no home schooling.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Let them work with him.  He may completely blossom in school with the other subjects.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM

My youngest DD is Dyslexic. She attends a regular classroom for most of the day and SPED classes for reading about 4 hours per week and then the instructor also comes to the classroom. I would ask the school if they have a pull-out program for students who may need a little extra help in certain areas.

quinnsmom715
by Donna on May. 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM

talk to your sons teacher and set up an iep.it will help with goals and let you know how far along he is..

idunno1234
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

You are speculating about shit that hasn't even happened!  Life is tough enough without adding the extra stress of what if's.

Relax and take things as they come.  If you need to fight, I have no idea you will.  But you may find that things go much better than you thought they would and all this worry would be for nothing.

allornone
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM

You are his biggest cheerleader.  You know your child the best.  Just stayed involved at home and at school.  Volunteer in the class and at school. Make yourself known for being there and standing up for his best interest.

ssocalgirl6
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Public schools are the perfect place for him. Private schools usually don't have the resources needed to help him. He will get a lot of extra help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I graduated almost 10 years ago but I really hope they have changed a LOT.

I was one of those kids who excelled in one subject but was slow to learn in all the others. They said I was too smart for special needs, not smart enough for regular classes, so they threw me in with regular classes. Teachers thought I was lazy/not paying attention because I wasn't catching on right away.

I see my son doing and struggling with the same things I did. I know what it's like to be him.

Quoting ssocalgirl6:

Public schools are the perfect place for him. Private schools usually don't have the resources needed to help him. He will get a lot of extra help.

justahousewife
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Don't assume the school will be your enemy. Unless you're in an overstuffed, understaffed school I wouldn't overthink it. If you are in a crappy area consider relocating. But it won't help to stress yourself.
ssocalgirl6
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM
My bil had dyslexia. He is very smart but had a hard time in math. His school helped him in every area. He had a resource teacher, more time for tests and many other resources. Because they helped him he went on to get his bachelors. Most schools are there to help.

Quoting Anonymous:

I graduated almost 10 years ago but I really hope they have changed a LOT.

I was one of those kids who excelled in one subject but was slow to learn in all the others. They said I was too smart for special needs, not smart enough for regular classes, so they threw me in with regular classes. Teachers thought I was lazy/not paying attention because I wasn't catching on right away.

I see my son doing and struggling with the same things I did. I know what it's like to be him.

Quoting ssocalgirl6:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM

does he already have an iep?  why are u so sure u want him in a special ed classroom?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN