Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Arguing the other side...would it change anything for you?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM
  • 26 Replies

Do you think that having to do research and argue for the other side would change your point of view on any given issue or at least help you to better understand the other side's argument?

Tuesday was my last Moot Court assignment for my Constitutional Law class and I had to argue in front of a mock Supreme Court why Roe v. Wade should be overturned. It hurt my heart a bit because I am pro-choice, but I made a pretty effective argument. It also made me understand a bit more the reasoning behind the pro-life argument (NOT from a religious point of view). Today I wrote my paper...based on the same hypothetical situation, but this time I was the Justice and got to decide the fate of Roe v. Wade. I upheld it, but changed it some. However, while writing it, my arguments from the Moot Court kept popping in my head. I guess arguing the other side got to me a bit. I don't like abortions...I wish they were not necessary for some women, but I can understand why some women have them and feel that is a choice that each woman should make for herself...not something that any branch of the government should decide. 

Thoughts?

by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by Jojo on May. 4, 2013 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I have researched the issue of abortion from every angle. When I made the choice to abort, I wanted to be well informed. I checked pro-choice and pro-life sites, and went to a pregnancy resource center and spoke with their counselor. I haven't argued for the other side, but I'm aware of it, and it's arguments and stances. I am still and always have been, staunchly pro-choice.

LexsMami
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:46 AM

What about other issues? I wasn't exactly trying to make this a strictly abortion-centered post. That was just my issue that I dealt with due to my assignment. Do you think that having to make the argument for the other side would affect you in any way?

Quoting jojo_star:

I have researched the issue of abortion from every angle. When I made the choice to abort, I wanted to be well informed. I checked pro-choice and pro-life sites, and went to a pregnancy resource center and spoke with their counselor. I haven't argued for the other side, but I'm aware of it, and it's arguments and stances. I am still and always have been, staunchly pro-choice.

jojo_star
by Jojo on May. 4, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I think in order to truly understand and support your stance, no matter what, you have to be aware of the other side. If you don't know what you are against, how can you know what you are for? So yes, any topic or issue, I know both sides of, so I could pick a side and understand why.

Quoting LexsMami:

What about other issues? I wasn't exactly trying to make this a strictly abortion-centered post. That was just my issue that I dealt with due to my assignment. Do you think that having to make the argument for the other side would affect you in any way?

Quoting jojo_star:

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on May. 4, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I always try to see both sides of the arguement before I make a choice as to what I do. and if I don't originally see both sides, I am always open to both sides

Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:51 AM

you want a law degree then you don't argue feelings you argue facts. 

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on May. 4, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Had to do that for my Con Law class!! I think mine was on the death penalty. It's kind of fun to argue the other side but no, it didn't change my opinion or stance. 

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Actually... It was this same assignment I was given that turned my pro-choice. 

LexsMami
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I know what you are saying, but that is not exactly what I am asking. Everyone who has ever debated anything seriously is well aware of the arguments of the other side. However, do you feel that actually having to physically argue them would make a difference? We have to make the most effective argument possible...say it with conviction like we mean it with every fiber of our being (my class partner and I could have won Oscars Tuesday for our performance and we are both staunchly pro-choice), so if you had to do that...would it make any sort of difference to you?

Quoting jojo_star:

I think in order to truly understand and support your stance, no matter what, you have to be aware of the other side. If you don't know what you are against, how can you know what you are for? So yes, any topic or issue, I know both sides of, so I could pick a side and understand why.

Quoting LexsMami:

Quoting jojo_star:

jojo_star
by Jojo on May. 4, 2013 at 1:57 AM

No, I don't think so. Of course, I can't say for sure not having done it, but I don't see myself changing my mind on an issue, just beacuse I have to argue in its favor. I argue in favor of eating veggies all the time, and I still hate them.

Quoting LexsMami:

I know what you are saying, but that is not exactly what I am asking. Everyone who has ever debated anything seriously is well aware of the arguments of the other side. However, do you feel that actually having to physically argue them would make a difference? We have to make the most effective argument possible...say it with conviction like we mean it with every fiber of our being (my class partner and I could have won Oscars Tuesday for our performance and we are both staunchly pro-choice), so if you had to do that...would it make any sort of difference to you?

Quoting jojo_star:

Quoting LexsMami:

Quoting jojo_star:

LexsMami
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Which is what I did. No feelings allowed in that class, trust. 

Quoting Irenesmommy:

you want a law degree then you don't argue feelings you argue facts. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured