Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Child harness/leash

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 140 Replies

My 2 year old is not a quiet, shy, stay-close-to-mom type of kid. We go to the store and he's running off the second we get in, we take a walk and he's running towards the road even if it's busy, and, basically, I can't take him anywhere without spending half the time we're there just chasing him down and trying to make him stay with me. It's exhausting. It finally got to the point where I stayed home like a recluse because I am so tired of being THAT mom chasing her screaming kid around the store and wearing that embarrassed, worn out, pissed off look every time I try to get out of the house. So, I broke down and got one of those harnesses with a leash attached that looks like a stuffed dog and it's soft and fuzzy and all that jazz. I didn't think it was a huge deal. We had to have one for my little brother (he has Asperger's and when he was a little kid, he would just wander off if you weren't keeping your eye on him every second and he couldn't ask for help because he could barely talk until he was about 8). The first day I tried it out, we went to the store to get some new mixing bowls and some shorts and t-shirts for him to wear now that it's getting a little warmer. A lady walked up to me and basically said, "Shame on you for being so cruel that you would put a harness on your baby! He needs freedom to walk around!"

The leash part is pretty long. He can walk around, he just can't run off through the aisles and try to hide in the clothes like he would normally do. Am I really such a bad mom for getting a child harness/leash to keep my 2 year old from running off in the store anymore?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:12 AM
When I grocery shop, he's in the carriage. When I shop for clothes, he's in the stroller or with a sitter.

We let him run at home in the yard, and at playgrounds.

Id never leash him. But- to each their own
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM
2 moms liked this

well, if he's not getting lost in a store or hit by a car...i say heck with it. use the leash. did i answer that right?

Kris_PBG
by on May. 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM
2 moms liked this
Personally - I never would.

I'd rather take the time to teach my child to stay with me.

That is what I did since my kids were 1 and never had an issue.

To each their own...
Aslen
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM
I always let my children have a 2-3 ft perimeter around me. They were always in sight, and if they went to far I'd call them back.

It worked great in the store, the mall, everywhere
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Normally I would keep him in the grocery cart, but he screams the entire time. I even had one of the store employees come up and ask me to either quiet him down or leave on a particularly bad day and he knows how to undo the things in his stroller if I put him in that. I just have no idea what else to do and the leash seemed like the best option until he starts to understand why he can't just run off the way he does.

Quoting xomrs.chase:

When I grocery shop, he's in the carriage. When I shop for clothes, he's in the stroller or with a sitter.

graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM
2 moms liked this
You are his mom, you decide what's best for him. After all, you are responsible for his safety and well being.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mattiehatter
by Mary on May. 4, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Not her child and far from her problem.
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:17 AM
That lady is a wench. I used one and I like to see parents doing whatever is takes to keep their kid safe. It doesn't hurt your son at all, my daughter liked it; she would pretend to be a puppy.
SoltaniMommy
by on May. 4, 2013 at 7:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Safety first!

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:17 AM
At 2 he's old enough to start teaching him. Be consistant. It may take work and time... but the leash won't help you with that.

Bring sonething to entertain him in the cart. Start using consequences for bad behavior.

Quoting Anonymous:

Normally I would keep him in the grocery cart, but he screams the entire time. I even had one of the store employees come up and ask me to either quiet him down or leave on a particularly bad day and he knows how to undo the things in his stroller if I put him in that. I just have no idea what else to do and the leash seemed like the best option until he starts to understand why he can't just run off the way he does.

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)