Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it rude to ... (details added)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 339 Replies
celebrate the same life event in the same timeframe as another family member?

examples : A month after DH proposed, my older brother proposed to his girlfriend. They got married two weeks after my wedding. Last month my cousin announced his wife was three months pregnant. It's the first great grandchild (besides my SS). Yesterday, my brother announced that his wife just took a pregnancy test and it was positive.

Thoughts?

eta : I'm not upset, but some of our family is. They feel like my brother is trying to steal everyone's thunder. I just wanted to see what you ladies thought.

Added : I wanted to add more details about the wedding/engagement and see what you all think about that.

Right after I got engaged, my brother told me he was going to propose to his girlfriend on their 5th year anniversary (three months later). He proposed exactly one month after my proposal, because he said he was caught up in the excitement. He then planned his wedding for the same day as mine. He lives two hours away, so the family would have been forced to choose which one to attend. I'd already booked my venue, while my brother did no planning whatsoever. He HAD to get married on my wedding day, because the date looked cool in Roman Numerals.

His mom (he's my stepbrother) told him that it was wrong to get married on the same day as me, especially since I aas the only dlone doing any planning. which is why he got married two weeks later.

I think the family is pissed, because they remember the initial 'whose wedding should we attend' drama. I think now they feel like my brother and his wife got pregnant so quickly, is because my cousin did. Three months ago, my brother and his wife were adamant that they weren't ready for kids.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:13 AM
8 moms liked this

No, you're being petty.

mama-sita
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM
6 moms liked this

Things happen like that, especially in big families.  I wouldn't be too upset.  Just the natural progression of life.

GOBryan
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM
5 moms liked this

Why would it be wrong? People celebrate THEIR life event. You can't always control when it occurs. 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
No, life doesnt revolve around someone's life events

I had to tell my sister I was pregnant the day she started talking about bridesmaids dresses, becuase I knew I may not fit in the one she wanted. Nobody else knew I was pregnant yet
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on May. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Life just works that way sometimes. It's not a big deal.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
6 moms liked this
So what would be a good time frame for your brother to have a life? How much time should pass before he gets married or starts a family?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on May. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Stuff like that doesn't bother me.
HappySquirrel
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
My SIL told me I couldn't get married until after her because I got engaged after her. Now THAT is what's rude. Celebrating is just that. Celebrating. Why not the more the merrier?
Fistandantalus
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM

No,it's not rude, things happen when they happen, right?

EAzizM
by Erica on May. 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Seems petty to be concerned about such things.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured