Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you say my son is "bratty"?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM
  • 150 Replies
With all the posts saying that sn kids are allowed to act bratty, I thought is seek ideas on what people think constitutes "bratty" behavior. I have a son on the extremely high end of the spectrum. He's been dx'ed but it basically just explained some of his quirks. So here is the scenario, from a bystander's position.

In a crowded cereal aisle ds and I are picking out cereal. I say,"you need to pick a bag of cereal". Ds points to a box and says "it has a check mark". I tell him that he needs to choose a bag not a box. He refuses so I pick two bags and put them in the cart. Halfway down the crowded aisle, he hits the floor, covers his head and ears and closes his eyes and refuses to move. After I try to talk to him and grab his hand, I pick him up and walk out of the aisle.

That is all the bystanders saw. So, based on just that scenario, as a bystander, would you think I'm raising a bratty child?
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I would think that behavior is bratty, yes. But I know no backstory. And you handled it well.
jadsmummy
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM
It depends how you react to it. A lot can be determined by your reaction of brat vs special needs.
momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Yes I would. That would not work with my kids one bit. I have never allowed them to throw fits like that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM

My ASD son has done that before so probably not. His was over tea though not cereal

Kmary
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM
5 moms liked this

No, probably not.  If here were very young looking, I'd chalk it up to typical toddler behavior and if he were much older, I'd probably make the assumption that he has some special needs.  Only when a kid is really speaking disrespectfully or something do I think he's a brat.  A quiet fit like that wouldn't phase me at all.

MommyChristina1
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM
No, I'd think you handled that well.
URHonor
by Rotten.Girl on May. 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't have allowed him to pick like that. I give 2 choices if any at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM
3 moms liked this
I would think that all kids regardless of having a mental disorder or not are going to do that at one point or another. Anyone that tries to say their kid has never or will never throw a tantrum is lying. It all depends on how you handle it when it happens sounds like you handled it fine. I wouldn't have even batted an eye in your direction.
Donnah118
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

If he was 9 and throwing things maybe but if he is young and just laying there I would just think he is pissed and will get over it.

sweetmelissa777
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
And u have a child on the spectrum?

Quoting momoftwo0406:

Yes I would. That would not work with my kids one bit. I have never allowed them to throw fits like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)