Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sister in law...UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 89 Replies

My brother and sister in law are expecting their first baby.  They asked my mother to come help out for when the baby is born.  My mother gets there and was immediately informed of a list of stipulations that my sister in law  came up with for before my mom is allowed to touch or hold her grandchild.  Some of them I can understand but others just seem to be way out there.

My mother has to wash her hands.  (my mom washed her hands anyway before handling my baby's and I did not make her do it)

My mother is not allowed to kiss the baby at all until she washes her face and lips off.

My mother is not allowed to wear any lotions or perfume while she is around the baby.

My mother has to go and get the adult whooping cough vaccine before she can handle the baby.

This is just a few of the rules that my SIL has put forward.  I figure now with this that I will not be able to come withing 250 ft of my nephew due to me not following all of these rules.  Is my sister in law being reasonble or is she going overboard. 

I myself think she is going overboard just a bit.  Oh and my mom was told that she has to take care of their cats and she is not allowed at the hospital when the baby is born.  She has to wait until they bring him home for her to see him. 

I myself told my Mom to get on a train and head back home.  I am speechless and dumb founded by this.  I do not know whether to go to my brother and talk with him or maybe I should just stay out of it. 

Thanks for letting me vent. 

UPDATE:

My mom finally talked with my brother about this whole situation at my suggestion.  My brother in turn talked with my SIL.  Things have settled down.  Thank goodness!  My SIL went into labor this morning so we shall see how things go when she comes home with my new nephew. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jazzymom760
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Oh wow, what a control freak o.0

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

BUMP!

not.atyou
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Was the baby born health compromised?

My kids were pre term and sick. None of those rules sound off the wall to me.
Mamabear010
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM
7 moms liked this

So what you're saying is. If i want to keep my in laws away from the new baby, i just gotta make up a bunch of over protective rules...Hmmm

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with all except the washing face and lips.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

That is kind of what I was thinking also. 

Quoting Mamabear010:

So what you're saying is. If i want to keep my in laws away from the new baby, i just gotta make up a bunch of over protective rules...Hmmm

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I would leave...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree with the washing of the hands.  I even understand the no perfume stuff.  But requiring a vaccine to see your grandchild.  I refuse to get a vaccine just to see my nephew.  I just think it is crazy. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with all except the washing face and lips.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I told her the same thing. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I would leave...

hautemama83
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Shes a first time mom isn't she?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured