Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Weird situation...

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 41 Replies
I'll start with a little back story. There is a woman "S" who is my sil's (dhs sister) ex best friend. The reason for the "ex" is that she slept with my sil's husband and was the ultimate cause of their divorce. Needless to say, my dhs whole family despises S. I'd never met S, but I've heard ALL about her for the past 12 years.

Skip to 3 weeks ago. My 8 year old son started playing basketball. My dh works all the time, so I take him to all practices and games. There's a little boy on his team who he became friends with and they played together on the playground before and after games. His mom and I would talk while they played. Last week we exchanged numbers and agreed to get the boys together to play sometime.

This morning, my dh took a few hours off work to come watch his game. Before I could introduce him to my new friend, he stops me and says "OMG, that's S!!" and points at my new friend. Now, I knew that was her name, but I didn't know she was THAT S.

Of course, she saw him with me and it clicked to her too. She tried to come up and be cordial, but my dh just walked away. I decided not to tell him that she's the one I had made friends with.

Now I don't know what to do. She's really nice to me and our sons get along wonderfully, but I can't be friends with her!! What would you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1boy1girlmama
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM

EEEK! I would just do playdates with the kids, but not hang out with her. 

EAzizM
by Erica on May. 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM
2 moms liked this
She made a mistake and it had nothing to do with you...and no one can tell me who i can and can't be friends with. Pft.
Sharbear42371
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Your kids can still be friends.  

CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

It's been 12 years? I think it's time everyone move on. I'm sure there was a lot of "growing up" done (at least, I would hope so).  

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on May. 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking, but it'll be awkward either way.

Quoting 1boy1girlmama:

EEEK! I would just do playdates with the kids, but not hang out with her. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I guess it surprises me after 12 years you didn't know who she was!! People change! Your son made a friend, keep it at that! Playdates I think would be fine I just wouldn't get too buddy buddy!
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on May. 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Oh, I know that. Their family would be pissed if they found out we were friends though. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

Quoting EAzizM:

She made a mistake and it had nothing to do with you...and no one can tell me who i can and can't be friends with. Pft.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessie3398
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM
If you continue the friendship be prepared for sil to hate you for it :o(
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on May. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

You can be friends with her.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on May. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM
From what I've heard about her, she seems to have grown up a lot. She doesn't act like the person my dh describes her to be.

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

It's been 12 years? I think it's time everyone move on. I'm sure there was a lot of "growing up" done (at least, I would hope so).  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)