Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I made daughter throw ALL of it away! edit under pic in OP- final edit on added

Posted by   + Show Post

Tiara is 9 and has forgotten who is boss around here and push me over the edge this morning! her wearing makeup has been a constant battle! I didnt get any makeup for her, other people give it to her as gifts @@ and she has also gotten into MY makeup! she keeps putting it on darker and darker and we have had many discussions about it! In march she snuck some of her and MY makeup into her suticase to go visit grandma after i told her no makeup. I find it in her backpack, she knows she is NOT to wear it at school!

this morning we were getting ready to go to lunch and my cousins house and I told her 'NO makeup". i know she heard me because she told me I am ruining her life, lol! she was taking too long to get ready so I opened her bedroom door and sure enough she was putting makeup on!

i emptied her bedroom trach can and told her to put ALL of her makeup in it! told her that if i find ANY hidden she would be grounded a day for each item, in addition to being grounded right now for an undetermined amount of time til I calm down and can think rationally!

its not just the makeup thats an issue, but an overall attitude of her doing whatever she pleases no matter what I say. so its time for "attitude adjustment 101"

Tiara throwing away her makup! she didnt want a picture taken but I told her that she would need it as a reminder!

edit: she got to keep her nailpolish, lol! I told her if it went on her face she had to throw it away. she asked if she could keep chapstick and i agreed to that.

I try my best to let her express herself! she has permenate hair color stripes in her hair that I put in myself! she has 2 piercings in each ear. she ownes two pair of combat boots. she dresses like a girly girl one day and a punk rocker the next, lol! but the whole point here is that she is breaking rules and sneaking. I have compromised on the makeup before saying she could wear it at home and out sometimes if it looked natural. but again she breaks the rules! I dont have time for her scrub her face as we need to walk out the door! I specifically told her "no makeup" today and she heard me and chose to be defiant! this is NOT the first time! she has had waaay too many chances on this topic!

last edit: I cant keep up, lol! she is aware that breaking the rule is the problem, not the makeup, as I told her about some other things that she has been defiant about lately that will change too. she understood what she did was very wrong. she went about cleaning her room etc with no lip. she layed down on my bed and chatted with me afterwards. when i dropped her off at her dads at 6pm she gave me plenty of hugs and kisses... she got over it quicker than yall did, lol! her 10th bday is the end of july. I think I might get her some LIGHT eyeshadow and LIGHT tinted lipgloss and go over the rules and consequences again. I am not trying to stop her from having fun, experimenting etc. she just has to learn that rules are rules and if she doesnt like something then we need to discuss it, but breaking the rules out right will not end well!

by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (31-40):
TishHughes
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't blame you and I agree, 9 year old shouldn't be wearing make-up. Someone offered to get my daughter make-up for her birthday. She was turning 4. Her reasoning was "she should be girly". She's 4, if she wants to be obsessed with TMNT and cars, then I am perfectly fine with that. Make-up is a definite no-go in my house. Especially on a child as young as 4 or 9.

ROBIN-C
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM
8 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I think that's a little harsh.

on the surface I am sure it does seem that way. but it is nonstop with the makeup! she is sneaking it to school too! if she would keep it natural I wouldnt mind as much... well I would mind about her constantly breaking the rules, but she was putting on more and more, darker and darker - black eyeliner that was in halloween kits etc!

I want her to know she is beautiful naterally - and no i dont wear nearly as much makeup as she was wearing! I want her to look 9, not like a prepubecent hooker! also I know people judge ME by how she looks and she kept sneaking makeup and wearing it without me knowing!

until she can respect my rules she wont be allowed to have ANY makeup because she has proven that she cant be trusted with it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on May. 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM
7 moms liked this

i dont think the point of this post is about whether or not she should wear make up. Its that her daughter is not listening to what her mother tells her, is lying and being sneaky. Doesnt matter what its about, shes being disrespectful. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Poor kid....I don't see the problem with her wearing it. Maybe you should teach her what looks good and what doesn't.

momof2.5girls
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
9 is definitely too young to be wearing makeup! Good for you for taking action! She will have plenty of time for makeup later. Maybe y'all could compromise and she could just wear a little lightly colored lipgloss? Tell people to stop buying it for her!
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

good for you!!! she is most defineatly too young for makeup!

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM

good job. she needs to remember moms in charge. just a quick question.did you ever show her how to apply make up?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on May. 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
She Is Way To Young To Wear Make Up!!I Agree With You.Now If She Gets Make Up As A Gift.I Would Take It Away And Hide It Where She Can't Find It ..Or Throw It Away In Front If Her . Show Her Who Is Boss.And I Would Not Put Up With Her Attitude.I Know What I Would Do But Sure Many Would Not Agree.. Bust Her Ass!!
Vcoskey
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel you momma! We have been having the battle of wills here as well, dd is 10.5. We have found other ways for her to express herself (hair bows/ties/socks/nail polish) and feel more grown up - more responsibility and freedom when it is earned, allowing her to help cook and care for her siblings, etc. I don't think her behavior is unusual - maybe early, but not unusual. They are at that weird age where they don't want to be little kids anymore but still act like little kids when going about trying to be "grown up."
Stick to your guns - you're doing great!
cjsmom1

Good for you. I would also tell all family members that get her gifts that makeup is not allowed.

TishHughes

Quoting armywifey26:

Fingernail polish too?? :(

I thought that I saw some of that, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN