Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Disney World Disability Guest Pass (edit for new information)

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 369 Replies

We are heading to Disney World this Thursday and we have a moral dilemma. Our DD is deaf. We have been told that if we go to guest relations and tell them about her deafness, they will give us a disability guest pass that allows for *us to wait in a quiter area*. While this would be AWESOME, there is really no reason she can't wait in line like everyone else. (She would however be unable to understand us in noisey environments and cannot lipread in dim light). Also, the pass would provide for better seating in shows and things like that.

So, should we take advantage??

Ok, since this post is now featured, I need to explain something. While my daughter is deaf, she has a cochlear implant that gives her access to spoken language. She chooses to LISTEN and speak as her mode of communication. She uses the device to hear. She knew sign when she was younger, but as her language has improved, she has forgotten 99% of it. 

(Oh, and 95% of people with hearing loss uses spoken language as their primary language.)

by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DieselsMom
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM

No. She can stand in line like everyone else

Suzy_Sunshine
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I am going to have to say: no.

I understand why you might be tempted but I think that would send a terrible message to your child. Better to wait in the lines than to teach her that she is less capable than others or that she should take advantage of her disability status in cases where she does not need special treatment. 

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM
13 moms liked this

The TrollCat has some info on it she posted a couple of months back. I think that the pass also gives you access to closed captioning and possibly interpreters during the shows? If it is does I would get it for that reason and just not cut the lines if you don't feel the need.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

no...but disney has fast passes so why not just take advantage of those?

LClark1973
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

You do not  always get to line jump. Sometimes you have to wait like 45 minutes like everyone else. They just let you wait in a different area. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to say no. We went to Disney two years ago and the number of people abusing the disability pass was beyond frustrating. I can understand if the person has a legit disibility that makes standing in line dificult but that wasn't always the case. There is no reason she can't wait in line just like all the other kids that want to go on the ride.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

bump.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope, not only is that not a good message to send to your child, but you would be making the wait longer for someone who really does need it.

chickensmommy
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Idk... What if she has access to closed captioning? I would call ahead and ask if there will be anything to acommodate Deaf children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
If what app said is true about the close captioning and stuff I'd get it. You don't have to use it on the rides if you don't think she needs it. So many people abuse those, my stupid exs new wife gets one for her daughter bc "she can't hold her pee long". Which is complete bs!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)