Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you don't vaccinate your children, we will suspend them from school. - ETA

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM
  • 101 Replies

Thoughts?

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/canada/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com%2F2013%2F05%2F03%2Fna0504-th-vaccines

Quote:

Late last month, public health officials issued a final ultimatum to the parents of school students in the Ottawa area: Vaccinate your kids, or we will suspend them from school.

On Wednesday, Ottawa Public Health made good on the threat. As of Thursday night, 603 Ottawa students had been sent home by suspension orders.

The idea is not to suspend students arbitrarily, say officials, but to drive home the point that they are no longer messing around when it comes to parents who forget to vaccinate their children — or who refuse the shots outright due to pseudoscientific claims.

Eric Leclair, spokesman for the agency, says there are “a lot of mistruths out there.”

“We have to fight that reality and try to show that vaccination, next to clean water and sanitation, is the most powerful public health tool that exists on the planet.”

Twenty-five years ago, in an act of scientific fraud that has since gone down as one of the biggest lies in modern medical history, a onetime University of Toronto researcher named Andrew Wakefield published a study claiming a link between autism and the vaccines that prevent measles, mumps and rubella.

ETA - Here is a link to the exemption rules in Canada: http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/canada.htm

by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM
4 moms liked this

In Florida we have a religious exemption form that the state provides to parents who choose not to vaccinate. We have it although not for religious reasons but it's easy to get.

I refuse to vaccinate my kids for non-life threatening things like chicken pox or flu. My kids have Autism and despite what people think, my son did regress and have it triggered after the MMR, just like other parents claim has happened to their children. We know our kids and how they were before and after so I don't debate this any longer. My kids don't need multiple vaccines or unnecessary ones plain and simple. It's my call as a parent and no one has the right to tell me otherwise. 

Those who want to give their kids every vaccine under the sun, it's their prerogative. 

Kitschy
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Waivers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiliM
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I went in and talked the school nurse about our delayed schedule. There are also some the kids don't get.

Easy peasy.

phoebe81
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

They don't have waivers. The students are required to be vaccinated or they will recieve a 20 day suspension. 

Quoting Kitschy:

Waivers

phoebe81
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Ah, how old were your children? Were they an exception to the suspension or was it because you intended to do it but just delayed it?

Quoting LiliM:

I went in and talked the school nurse about our delayed schedule. There are also some the kids don't get.

Easy peasy.

Eliots_momma
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

What about children who physically can't be vaccinated?

I dont see how a school system could force vaccinations on a child. I feel like that is a very personal desicion that only the parents need to make

phoebe81
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I'm not sure if religious reasons are a valid exemption there, but it doesn't really sound like it from the article. Out of curiosity, what are the specific reasons for a religion to forbid vaccinations?

Quoting GOBryan:

In Florida we have a religious exemption where they can't keep a child out of school if they have that notice from the state. We have it although not for religious reasons but it's easy to get. 

Kitschy
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM
I don't know anything about the laws in Canada, it just sounded like in the article that this was about people not going about it in an official way. Again though, I don't know how that works over there.

Quoting phoebe81:

They don't have waivers. The students are required to be vaccinated or they will recieve a 20 day suspension. 

Quoting Kitschy:

Waivers

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
phoebe81
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I think it has to do with public health. Since they are public schools, they are responsible for the health of their student population. As the article states, many of the areas they are having outbreaks are areas where anti-vaccination movements are rampant. I suppose if a parent chooses to make use of free public education, they need to abide by the rules.

Quoting Eliots_momma:

What about children who physically can't be vaccinated?

I dont see how a school system could force vaccinations on a child. I feel like that is a very personal desicion that only the parents need to make

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Waivers are hard to get in Canada. Takes A LOT pushing and proving and they can be for medical or religious reasons ONLY. Plus, the medical waiver has to be filled out by a doctor with proof of medical reason. It's annoying.

Regarding the OP- my son is 7 and got his 6 year shots last year. I forgot to report it to the local health unit and a month after her 7th birthday I got a letter saying he needed it or he was suspended.
They tried suspending them over the chicken pox and flu vaccines as well. I fought those and won since they aren't legally required.

Quoting Kitschy:

Waivers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)