Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does a child being deaf entitle it to more than a regular child...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

besides its obvioous support that it needs.

I mean to jump ahead in lines, or say like make everyone who was waiting in line at an amusement park wait longer because they can not hear a thing.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
spooky415
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM
I think she's saying "it" because she's not specifying the gender.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on May. 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Yes. Individuals who are deaf face challenges that the hearing can't imagine. If a deaf individual feels a ligitimate need to be accommodated who am I to be rude about it and start being the "accommodation police".
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Depends on the situation.  I have a child with moderate disabilities.  He has mobility issues, seizures, developmental delays and other issues.  At an amusement park we have used the line skip pass given to us, by virtue of my son's disability to skip lines for the few attractions and shows that he can safely enjoy.  It is too hard for him to sit in line in the heat and wait a long time.  Without knowing all the details this may be an issue for the child who is deaf.  They may have other issues that are invisible that you are not aware of.  If you were to look at my son you wouldn't know that he has all these issues, particularly if he has on long pants and can not see his leg orthosis.  So yes it may be necessary for that child.

DannieLou
by Mockingjay on May. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I feel that terminally ill children should be able to have special privileges like you mentioned.
I don't feel that any child should be referred to as "it".
Ayshren
by on May. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Thats what I was thinking!

Quoting Anonymous:

It?  Who calls a child that??

smh

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM

If I was at Disney World and a deaf child got to skip ahead because of their disability I honestly wouldn't give 2 shits. I can hear. That poor kid can't. For that I'm lucky. And her going ahead does not impact my wait time whatsoever. I hardly think its a big deal or an "entitlement". Don't scream "Its not fair". A deaf child's whole life "isn't fair". 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM
My dad has been deaf since birth, though he does have a hearing aid, and he hates being treated different or "special" :-(
Bellum
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

This is in regard to another post.  A mom asked if using the guest pass at Disney was ok for her deaf daughter.  My daughter is deaf, and we did not use the pass, but starting a whole new post to complain seems petty.  Do you have children with disabilities?  I do, deaf daughter, son with Down syndrome. There are people who abuse the system ,but this mom just asked a question.  Get over it. 

sheymann
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

It depends on what "more" you're talking about. Should that child be allowed to do whatever? No. Obviously there are rules that ALL children have to follow. I don't think deaf children should skip in lines, if it's such a problem for them to go to an amusment park that they can't wait, disipline your child. Being deaf doesn't mean they don't understand things... SMH

However, in a movie, they need closed captioning and, yes, I do think that should be avaliable if a deaf child wants to go see a movie on the big screen. 

Though honestly, one deaf child skipping the line isn't going to make your wait any longer. 

Jasuzha
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Quoting cfcf:

Is this a hypothetical ir did this actually happen? Lol.

I get the feeling you're about 16 and a kid got special attention and you're upset because a loving mother does not refer to their child as "it"

In another post a woman thought her deaf daughter would be able to skip the lines, but edited to say they would just wait in a quieter place.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN