Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Which people should be allowed to get special treatment at an amusement park?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
  • 739 Replies
1 mom liked this

I understand that people with physical disabilities, such as those in wheelchairs, will need some special assistance, a guest services pass. Hearing impaired people will need interpreters. But what other conditions? I have a friend whose son has Type 1 diabetes. Should he be allowed to skip the line at Six Flags or other amusement parks? Should a child with severe anxiety be allowed special treatment at an amusement park? Which conditions require special treatment? And I'm not bashing anyone who feels like their child needs this treatment. I'm just curious as to what other people think.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pce68
by Patti on May. 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

BUMP!

pce68
by Patti on May. 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

jillbailey26
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM
86 moms liked this

Anyone who wants to be "treated like everyone else" should be treated like everyone else.  That includes waiting in like.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on May. 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM
20 moms liked this

anything the person sees a Doctor for on a regular basis? For example-I have a friend with Lupus. If she were to have a flareup on a family vacation, I would think it would be acceptable for her to get one because she, otherwise, would be suffering medical distress. And it's a condition that is being monitored by a doctor. The pass would allow her to not be as fatigued and rundown so she could enjoy the trip more. This is hypothetical-but I think in that instance-it's a disability that people can't see, but would be an acceptable one. Anxiety that causes panic attacks if the situation is too overwhelming would be another one-it would cause legitimate medical distress that could be backed up by a doctors' note more or less.

ETA: I'm tired of people quoting me saying "I have heartburn, does that mean I get a pass?!!" Now you're just being a smartass. You know that is not what I meant. I may not have worded it that specifically but you know that is not what I was saying. Now, to clarify:

i was trying to say anything that would cause medical distress that would severely impact their ability to enjoy a vacation with their family. Heartburn, Depression, etc....not severe. Certain levels of Autism, Anxiety, Autoimmune Diseases than can cause fatigue etc, as wel as the obvious physical handicaps I all think should be taken into consideration.

I didn't word my original reply well-putting my thoughts into words....not my strong suit.

MomTo2Boys12
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM
7 moms liked this

They should be treated like everybody else. Imo

ETA I know I have been quoted once, not sure what anon said, and I'm worried I got chewed out for my statement. I didn't mean it in the arrogant, rude and bitchy manner that it comes acrossed as. I meant it as, I personally feel that having diabetes shouldn't be the factor in the reason that somebody gets to 'cut in front' of everybody else waiting in line for as long as they do. I've got sever anxiety and pretty shitty asthma, and because of those two things I don't get to buy a ticket that deems me allowed to automatically go to the front of any line. If my anxiety and asthma is that bad, why am I putting myself in the position to have some sort of attack to begin with? 

I dunno, I feel like I am digging my hole deeper, and I'll probably get chewed out for being close minded and rude by that crazy lady who chewed me out this morning. So I am going to j ust stop lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM
9 moms liked this

I think Fat people should be able to get special treatment. They can't stand in line as long, move to the front. Can't walk as far, ride in an electric scooter thing. Yes, fat people should get special treatment.

WTH kind of post is this? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM
25 moms liked this

nobody but ME

said everyone everywhere

pce68
by Patti on May. 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM
10 moms liked this

My friend get a pass for her son every time they go to Six Flags, and I assume every time they go to Disney. He has Type 1 diabetes, which yes is a serious condition, but they have everything he needs with them at all times, so I don't see why they need to skip lines or go in a special line to wait. When he went to Six Flags with my church group, there were rides that he and his friends got to ride that nobody else in our group got to go on bc the lines were too long, but bc he is diabetic he got to skip the line. Didn't seem fair to me.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Anyone who wants to be "treated like everyone else" should be treated like everyone else.  That includes waiting in like.

jillbailey26
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Well, there are passes you can buy to skip to the front of the line in some places.  They do have them at Disney, but I don't know about Six Flags.  Anyone can buy them, if I remember correctly.

Quoting pce68:

My friend get a pass for her son every time they go to Six Flags, and I assume every time they go to Disney. He has Type 1 diabetes, which yes is a serious condition, but they have everything he needs with them at all times, so I don't see why they need to skip lines or go in a special line to wait. When he went to Six Flags with my church group, there were rides that he and his friends got to ride that nobody else in our group got to go on bc the lines were too long, but bc he is diabetic he got to skip the line. Didn't seem fair to me.

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

pce68
by Patti on May. 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM
13 moms liked this

WTH kind of answer is this?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think Fat people should be able to get special treatment. They can't stand in line as long, move to the front. Can't walk as far, ride in an electric scooter thing. Yes, fat people should get special treatment.

WTH kind of post is this? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)