Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Which people should be allowed to get special treatment at an amusement park?

Posted by   + Show Post

I understand that people with physical disabilities, such as those in wheelchairs, will need some special assistance, a guest services pass. Hearing impaired people will need interpreters. But what other conditions? I have a friend whose son has Type 1 diabetes. Should he be allowed to skip the line at Six Flags or other amusement parks? Should a child with severe anxiety be allowed special treatment at an amusement park? Which conditions require special treatment? And I'm not bashing anyone who feels like their child needs this treatment. I'm just curious as to what other people think.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Replies (111-120):
pce68
by Patti on May. 5, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Good question! And I don't have the answer.

My dd used to get really freaked out by loud noises when she was younger, still does sometimes but not as bad. She probably could have benefitted from a special waiting area, but I wouldn't have thought of asking for special treatment. I would just leave that area if it got too loud for her to handle.

Quoting thetrollcat:

LOL well Im still trying to figure out how a deaf person benefits in a quiet waiting line LOL

Katenemsmom
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Any person that can physically stand in line should do so. if your wheel chair can fit then in line you go. My little brother has cerebral palsy and as a kid we skipped the line on the rides he could go on. Rides like Its a Small World. I believe in treating those that can't special because their world is truly limited. A person who is not limited by physical disabilities should be treated the same as the rest. By limited, I mean, able to ride as many rides as people their size.
thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 5, 2013 at 1:31 AM
3 moms liked this

ok this may be long but here is what my experience was when I went to Disney World in March (Sea World also). I have a profound hearing loss more or less deaf I just say Im deaf because it doesnt matter if its noisy or quiet I cant hear a damn thing you are saying anyhow... Mother has lupus, arthritis, a lot of joint problems (fake knee, rod in her back, messed up feet) woman wobbles like a damn duck from everything and loses her control easily because on top of all that she is blind in one eye and half blind in another.

I did do my research before we went to the park had it all planned out what time the interpreters would be at what shows what parks, where caption devices were available, rides that would be acceptable for mom and so forth. I did get the passes (disabled) one shared for me and mom, which ever was best for what event we were at. Here is the result how it got used...

Mother could not ride any of the fast rides, so we got "Fast Passes". I am deaf, not physically impaired no reason why I cant do what every else does waiting in line... Pain trying to beat the time.... We did get front row or handicapped seating with mom, it was great considering I needed to lip read she couldnt see plus she had her scooter (I forgot to mention she has horrible asthma as well).

Only a few of the attractions we did wiht mother we were permitted to go ahead and use the fast pass so we could park her scooter and help her on and off attractions. Mom was nervous as hell about it at first but when she saw she wouldnt hold up the line she calmed down. So ya that does help they allow that. It also helps we could stay together as a family.

I didnt use the captions, Im not even sure it would have been enjoyable for reasons its hard to read caption on a hand held device plus watch the event of the show. I had to choose. Watch the caption or just watch the show... I chose to just watch the show. I have no idea what they said or sang but oh well LOL.

For the most part we mostly used it on mom for the shows.... It was helpful getting handicapped seating again she is blind Im deaf and it all worked out for the most part. Unfortunately, disney cannot cater to all to solve all problems. Yes it is unfair that people that are blind or deaf end up having to choose and yet still miss out. But fur the love of pugs!!! ENJOY IT... I know I had a blast even though I may not have had the equal opportunity as others that can hear benefit from the musical or know what they were singing or saying but I went with a positive attitude and in good spirits. Disney does their best it isnt perfect. I also got to meet the interpreters and watched them for one of the parades. It was so fun to watch them but again, I had to choose watch the parade or watch them LOL. I went back and forth but I would prefer to just watch the parade.

The one thing I did like is that they did have a section for the deaf so you can see the interpreters. That was nice because last time I went the characters would talk to me, I felt like an idiot and didnt know how to respond!!! At least being in the deaf section the characters interacted with us nicely!!! Saved me the embarrassment and we did get a lot of attention from them LOL compared to just being on the side like everyone else. That was really nice! Also calmed my nerves so I wouldnt freak out... 

Its hard being disabled like me or my mom.. You just got to be thankful when parks like Disney try their best to make it fun for you. Be thankful not demanding and greedy and expecting everything.

Uhura
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I don't think anyone should be able to skip ahead in line. 

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 5, 2013 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this

without my "one aid" which is useless btw... Im deaf. I hear nothing. I walked all through disney without my aid in for the most part because it gave me headache (terrible ones) with all the jumble noises (I hear things different than most) it just a blob of fucking noise... Anyhow I heard nothing.... I dont get how a quiet area would be beneficial if I hear nothing in the first place even in a noisy area LOL

Now I understand if someone had some hearing and has sensitivity issues yes, but deaf??? The meaning of deaf means no hearing......

Quoting pce68:

Good question! And I don't have the answer.

My dd used to get really freaked out by loud noises when she was younger, still does sometimes but not as bad. She probably could have benefitted from a special waiting area, but I wouldn't have thought of asking for special treatment. I would just leave that area if it got too loud for her to handle.

Quoting thetrollcat:

LOL well Im still trying to figure out how a deaf person benefits in a quiet waiting line LOL

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 5, 2013 at 1:36 AM

well my mother did and thank pugs they did allow it because she would have declined even trying....

Quoting Uhura:

I don't think anyone should be able to skip ahead in line. 

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on May. 5, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Our oldest dd has SPD, bi-polar, anxiety and adhd. Some of her favorite places are Busch Gardens and Disney (we live in FL so we go often). Sometimes though if there is lot of people in a long waiting line she can have extreme anxiety or sensory overload meltdown. That doesn't mean she shouldn't get to go to these places. We have never asked for a special assistance pass though. Disney is great though with special needs and allergies (our youngest has a bad milk allergy).

Quoting Anonymous:

Wouldn't it be counter intuitive for someone with anxiety to go to an amusement park? As for the special treatment question I can't really answer that. Everything isn't  so cut and dried and it isn't up to me to decide.

pce68
by Patti on May. 5, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think people like you and your mom use the accommodations appropriately, and in a way that helps you enjoy your trip. Some people just want to get every special perk they can, whether they need it or not. I'm not saying those people don't have some disability that makes things more difficult, but that doesn't mean all of those people NEED every special treatment that is offered. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about people who misuse it. It just is the way it is. Glad you were able to have a good time at Disney, despite all the difficulties.

Quoting thetrollcat:

ok this may be long but here is what my experience was when I went to Disney World in March (Sea World also). I have a profound hearing loss more or less deaf I just say Im deaf because it doesnt matter if its noisy or quiet I cant hear a damn thing you are saying anyhow... Mother has lupus, arthritis, a lot of joint problems (fake knee, rod in her back, messed up feet) woman wobbles like a damn duck from everything and loses her control easily because on top of all that she is blind in one eye and half blind in another.

I did do my research before we went to the park had it all planned out what time the interpreters would be at what shows what parks, where caption devices were available, rides that would be acceptable for mom and so forth. I did get the passes (disabled) one shared for me and mom, which ever was best for what event we were at. Here is the result how it got used...

Mother could not ride any of the fast rides, so we got "Fast Passes". I am deaf, not physically impaired no reason why I cant do what every else does waiting in line... Pain trying to beat the time.... We did get front row or handicapped seating with mom, it was great considering I needed to lip read she couldnt see plus she had her scooter (I forgot to mention she has horrible asthma as well).

Only a few of the attractions we did wiht mother we were permitted to go ahead and use the fast pass so we could park her scooter and help her on and off attractions. Mom was nervous as hell about it at first but when she saw she wouldnt hold up the line she calmed down. So ya that does help they allow that. It also helps we could stay together as a family.

I didnt use the captions, Im not even sure it would have been enjoyable for reasons its hard to read caption on a hand held device plus watch the event of the show. I had to choose. Watch the caption or just watch the show... I chose to just watch the show. I have no idea what they said or sang but oh well LOL.

For the most part we mostly used it on mom for the shows.... It was helpful getting handicapped seating again she is blind Im deaf and it all worked out for the most part. Unfortunately, disney cannot cater to all to solve all problems. Yes it is unfair that people that are blind or deaf end up having to choose and yet still miss out. But fur the love of pugs!!! ENJOY IT... I know I had a blast even though I may not have had the equal opportunity as others that can hear benefit from the musical or know what they were singing or saying but I went with a positive attitude and in good spirits. Disney does their best it isnt perfect. I also got to meet the interpreters and watched them for one of the parades. It was so fun to watch them but again, I had to choose watch the parade or watch them LOL. I went back and forth but I would prefer to just watch the parade.

The one thing I did like is that they did have a section for the deaf so you can see the interpreters. That was nice because last time I went the characters would talk to me, I felt like an idiot and didnt know how to respond!!! At least being in the deaf section the characters interacted with us nicely!!! Saved me the embarrassment and we did get a lot of attention from them LOL compared to just being on the side like everyone else. That was really nice! Also calmed my nerves so I wouldnt freak out... 

Its hard being disabled like me or my mom.. You just got to be thankful when parks like Disney try their best to make it fun for you. Be thankful not demanding and greedy and expecting everything.

Elyssa414
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:43 AM
2 moms liked this
We got really special treatment on my son's make a wish trip to Disney World. It was 3 months post-op from his 4th brain surgery, and it was truly an amazing week. I think wish kids should get that treatment.

I wouldn't seek out a pass though next time just because of his disability.
GleekingOut
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree - unless you have cancer or some form of life ending illness that means that any day could be your last day on earth.

Quoting Pnukey:

No, I'm a meanie. Nobody should get to skip the line. We all have to wait. Everyone just wants to be treated normal right? That means having to wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)