Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which people should be allowed to get special treatment at an amusement park?

Posted by   + Show Post

I understand that people with physical disabilities, such as those in wheelchairs, will need some special assistance, a guest services pass. Hearing impaired people will need interpreters. But what other conditions? I have a friend whose son has Type 1 diabetes. Should he be allowed to skip the line at Six Flags or other amusement parks? Should a child with severe anxiety be allowed special treatment at an amusement park? Which conditions require special treatment? And I'm not bashing anyone who feels like their child needs this treatment. I'm just curious as to what other people think.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
pce68
by Patti on May. 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM

They didn't buy a fast pass, or flash pass, as I think Six Flags calls it. They were given a pass bc he has diabetes.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Well, there are passes you can buy to skip to the front of the line in some places.  They do have them at Disney, but I don't know about Six Flags.  Anyone can buy them, if I remember correctly.

Quoting pce68:

My friend get a pass for her son every time they go to Six Flags, and I assume every time they go to Disney. He has Type 1 diabetes, which yes is a serious condition, but they have everything he needs with them at all times, so I don't see why they need to skip lines or go in a special line to wait. When he went to Six Flags with my church group, there were rides that he and his friends got to ride that nobody else in our group got to go on bc the lines were too long, but bc he is diabetic he got to skip the line. Didn't seem fair to me.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Anyone who wants to be "treated like everyone else" should be treated like everyone else.  That includes waiting in like.

GOBryan
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM
18 moms liked this

They call it an Assistance Pass and one can pick it up at Customer Relations in Disney and similar places. It's free. 

Severe anxiety or Autism because they can't wait and don't generally understand. I have two children with Autism and if it wasn't for the pass they give us, we would never be able to enjoy the parks. Even with the pass, the few minutes he's required to wait is hard. I have to help him focus on counting in order for him to calm down and wait but it's very frustrating. 

sweetfox3
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM
5 moms liked this

Type 1 diabetes?  It may seem that the pass is overkill, but for a person who has to carefully coordinate eating, exercise, and insulin dosing the pass can ensure that they are able to keep everything on schedule. I would imagine it to be very annoying to have to get out of line when 2/3 of the way through because it was moving slower than expected and it is time to take medicine or have to use the restroom because sugars were out of whack or something.

Lennyloves
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM
4 moms liked this
Type 1 diabetes is not a reason for special treatment. The only thing I would for see going wrong is a low- at which time u you would treat like any other time. I think physical limitations such as wheel chairs I see the need for accommodations but line jumping no. And emotional- I'm thinking that would be hard to prove- anyone can claim that.
Mama2ETA
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM
5 moms liked this

IMO I see anxiety disorders in children as a total reason to be able to skip the line. They haven't had time to learn their best coping skills.

pce68
by Patti on May. 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM
8 moms liked this

They can check his blood sugars in line. He has an insulin pump so they can dose him in line. They even carry snacks and juice with them at all times. So I don't see a reason for special treatment.

Quoting sweetfox3:

Type 1 diabetes?  It may seem that the pass is overkill, but for a person who has to carefully coordinate eating, exercise, and insulin dosing the pass can ensure that they are able to keep everything on schedule. I would imagine it to be very annoying to have to get out of line when 2/3 of the way through because it was moving slower than expected and it is time to take medicine or have to use the restroom because sugars were out of whack or something.

Alynn74
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM
22 moms liked this

I have never understood it either. Not bashing those who use the pass thing but I have 3 kids on the autism spectrum and  if I think standing in lines or crowds are going to be too much for them-we don't go. I don't purposely put them in a sitaution that is going to overwhelm them. This is however my opinion for my kids. What everyone else wants to do with their family really isn't any of my business.

Jodi136525
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
2 moms liked this
I can't speak for your friends son but my mom is type 1 diabetic and changes in activity level and a schedule can wreak havoc on her sugar levels, even with careful monitoring. She also has problems with neuropathy which can make it painful to stand and walk long distances, and problems with low blood pressure due to autonomic neuropathy. She also lost bladder control because of the neuropathy and has a permanent catheter. I see no problem in anyone who is diabetic having a disability pass just in case they are having a tough time and need to use it. it's also unhygienic to check blood sugars in an amusement park line. Your friends son has a pump but some children don't. The insulin has to be given a certain amount of time before the child eats and waiting in lines can make this difficult to coordinate. And you definitely shouldn't be giving an injection while waiting in line.
yikesitsmindy
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM
17 moms liked this

I think everyone should wait. If you are with it enough to ride, you are with it enough to wait.

newmom10142011
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Six Flags has them my husband and i got one the last time we went . you dont necesarily get  to skip the line but you can reserve your spot an get a page when its your turn

Quoting jillbailey26:

Well, there are passes you can buy to skip to the front of the line in some places.  They do have them at Disney, but I don't know about Six Flags.  Anyone can buy them, if I remember correctly.

Quoting pce68:

My friend get a pass for her son every time they go to Six Flags, and I assume every time they go to Disney. He has Type 1 diabetes, which yes is a serious condition, but they have everything he needs with them at all times, so I don't see why they need to skip lines or go in a special line to wait. When he went to Six Flags with my church group, there were rides that he and his friends got to ride that nobody else in our group got to go on bc the lines were too long, but bc he is diabetic he got to skip the line. Didn't seem fair to me.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Anyone who wants to be "treated like everyone else" should be treated like everyone else.  That includes waiting in like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured