Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Which people should be allowed to get special treatment at an amusement park?

Posted by   + Show Post

I understand that people with physical disabilities, such as those in wheelchairs, will need some special assistance, a guest services pass. Hearing impaired people will need interpreters. But what other conditions? I have a friend whose son has Type 1 diabetes. Should he be allowed to skip the line at Six Flags or other amusement parks? Should a child with severe anxiety be allowed special treatment at an amusement park? Which conditions require special treatment? And I'm not bashing anyone who feels like their child needs this treatment. I'm just curious as to what other people think.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
mommybug77
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM
2 moms liked this
My dh has been a diabetic for over 30 years. We live by a 6 flags he has never gotten special treatment. I don't think it's something you need to advertise for perks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Nobody.  But they should have benches along the line for people.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM
6 moms liked this

I have a vagina that I see a doctor for on a regular basis.  

Quoting zomgkerrie:

anything the person sees a Doctor for on a regular basis? For example-I have a friend with Lupus. If she were to have a flareup on a family vacation, I would think it would be acceptable for her to get one because she, otherwise, would be suffering medical distress. And it's a condition that is being monitored by a doctor. The pass would allow her to not be as fatigued and rundown so she could enjoy the trip more. This is hypothetical-but I think in that instance-it's a disability that people can't see, but would be an acceptable one. Anxiety that causes panic attacks if the situation is too overwhelming would be another one-it would cause legitimate medical distress that could be backed up by a doctors' note more or less.

sorcha1945
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM
4 moms liked this
Its up to the park to decide, and they can decide whatever they want makes no difference to me.
Lennyloves
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Having diabetes includes planing just as u do in everyday. If they are doing what u previously mentioned in other replies, IMO thy are just teaching him he deserves special treatment all the time And people/ places will adapt to him. Guess what they don't in real life.

Plenty of people and kids have t1d and dont use it for special treatment or as an excuse,

They have camps for kids to build skills. there they learn to be just like everyone else and realize they are not alone in their disease.

Quoting pce68:

They can check his blood sugars in line. He has an insulin pump so they can dose him in line. They even carry snacks and juice with them at all times. So I don't see a reason for special treatment.

Quoting sweetfox3:

Type 1 diabetes?  It may seem that the pass is overkill, but for a person who has to carefully coordinate eating, exercise, and insulin dosing the pass can ensure that they are able to keep everything on schedule. I would imagine it to be very annoying to have to get out of line when 2/3 of the way through because it was moving slower than expected and it is time to take medicine or have to use the restroom because sugars were out of whack or something.

faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I basically feel the same way which is why I don't go to amusement parks. I'm on supplemental oxygen and I will run out of air with line wait times. It sucks having to miss out on stuff, but the dirty looks are....really dirty.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Anyone who wants to be "treated like everyone else" should be treated like everyone else.  That includes waiting in like.

jillbailey26
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Well, that I can understand, it's detrimental to your health.  It's legitimate.  Most of the other stuff (like with diabetes), it's not.

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Yeah, I basically feel the same way which is why I don't go to amusement parks. I'm on supplemental oxygen and I will run out of air with line wait times. It sucks having to miss out on stuff, but the dirty looks are....really dirty.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Anyone who wants to be "treated like everyone else" should be treated like everyone else.  That includes waiting in like.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Gorilla_Mama
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM
My daughter sees an eye dr on a regular basis, once a month, because she was born with a cataract and has had 3 surgeries for it. Just curious if that would fall under the "seeing a dr regularly" and I should be able to ask for upfront seating to shows and parades since they tell me even with glasses her sight in that eye isn't great?

Totally hypothetical because she's only 18 months old and who knows what her vision will be in 5+ years which is probably the soonest we'd take her to Disney

Quoting zomgkerrie:

anything the person sees a Doctor for on a regular basis? For example-I have a friend with Lupus. If she were to have a flareup on a family vacation, I would think it would be acceptable for her to get one because she, otherwise, would be suffering medical distress. And it's a condition that is being monitored by a doctor. The pass would allow her to not be as fatigued and rundown so she could enjoy the trip more. This is hypothetical-but I think in that instance-it's a disability that people can't see, but would be an acceptable one. Anxiety that causes panic attacks if the situation is too overwhelming would be another one-it would cause legitimate medical distress that could be backed up by a doctors' note more or less.

msharleyjr
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM
3 moms liked this
I should be treated special ...simply because I am!!! LMAO!!! Okay not the answer you were looking for... But seriously I look as though there's nothing wrong with me and I can walk but I have a disc disease and it causes me to fall when I do... Should I get special treatment? I'm disabled , but I have no"card" yet I wait in lines with my grand kids .
We all have to make choices AND sacrifices.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I made the mistake of going with a girl, to a special day at sesame place.

The entire park was closed down, and only open to kids with special needs.

I went to help her out, because her husband would not be able to go for half the day.

She was so obnoxious pushy and loud insisting her kids didn't have to wait in line.

EVERY child in the park that day was special needs, and she just kept threatening every ride operator that if her kid has a melt down she was going to make heads roll.

She went to pick her husband up at lunch time and left me with her two kids for TWO HOURS

when she got back I told her I had to go, left the park walked to the mall nearby and called my DH to come get me.

I talked to her like 2 more times after that on the phone, she was disgusting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)