Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Which people should be allowed to get special treatment at an amusement park?

Posted by   + Show Post

I understand that people with physical disabilities, such as those in wheelchairs, will need some special assistance, a guest services pass. Hearing impaired people will need interpreters. But what other conditions? I have a friend whose son has Type 1 diabetes. Should he be allowed to skip the line at Six Flags or other amusement parks? Should a child with severe anxiety be allowed special treatment at an amusement park? Which conditions require special treatment? And I'm not bashing anyone who feels like their child needs this treatment. I'm just curious as to what other people think.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, I know. But you might be shocked at how mean people are about it. I've heard people whisper "I bet she wishes she never smoked" as I walk by. The sad thing is that I never did. *shrugs*

Quoting jillbailey26:

Well, that I can understand, it's detrimental to your health.  It's legitimate.  Most of the other stuff (like with diabetes), it's not.

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Yeah, I basically feel the same way which is why I don't go to amusement parks. I'm on supplemental oxygen and I will run out of air with line wait times. It sucks having to miss out on stuff, but the dirty looks are....really dirty.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Anyone who wants to be "treated like everyone else" should be treated like everyone else.  That includes waiting in like.

Pnukey
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM
6 moms liked this

No, I'm a meanie. Nobody should get to skip the line. We all have to wait. Everyone just wants to be treated normal right? That means having to wait.

LaMerica
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, yuck. She sounds like a gross human being. Sorry that you had to endure that bs. Some people can be really horrible.

Quoting Anonymous:

I made the mistake of going with a girl, to a special day at sesame place.

The entire park was closed down, and only open to kids with special needs.

I went to help her out, because her husband would not be able to go for half the day.

She was so obnoxious pushy and loud insisting her kids didn't have to wait in line.

EVERY child in the park that day was special needs, and she just kept threatening every ride operator that if her kid has a melt down she was going to make heads roll.

She went to pick her husband up at lunch time and left me with her two kids for TWO HOURS

when she got back I told her I had to go, left the park walked to the mall nearby and called my DH to come get me.

I talked to her like 2 more times after that on the phone, she was disgusting.

pce68
by Patti on May. 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

He goes to that camp for kids with diabetes every summer -well, I think he just started going 2 years ago. Most of the time his parents do treat him like every other kid, but this instance I didn't think he needed special treatment.

Quoting Lennyloves:

Having diabetes includes planing just as u do in everyday. If they are doing what u previously mentioned in other replies, IMO thy are just teaching him he deserves special treatment all the time And people/ places will adapt to him. Guess what they don't in real life.

Plenty of people and kids have t1d and dont use it for special treatment or as an excuse,

They have camps for kids to build skills. there they learn to be just like everyone else and realize they are not alone in their disease.

Quoting pce68:

They can check his blood sugars in line. He has an insulin pump so they can dose him in line. They even carry snacks and juice with them at all times. So I don't see a reason for special treatment.

Quoting sweetfox3:

Type 1 diabetes?  It may seem that the pass is overkill, but for a person who has to carefully coordinate eating, exercise, and insulin dosing the pass can ensure that they are able to keep everything on schedule. I would imagine it to be very annoying to have to get out of line when 2/3 of the way through because it was moving slower than expected and it is time to take medicine or have to use the restroom because sugars were out of whack or something.

Luvmykids7
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM
4 moms liked this

No. I have MS and use a wheelchair the only special treatment I ask for from a business is a ramp! lol! Really if one is too ill to stand in line and wait than they are too ill to go to such places. When I go to do my shopping there are often line ups at the cash, it hurts sitting in the wheelchair for so long and then on top of that I have to wait for the wheelchair transit to pick me back up, it's not fun but it's life. Having a disability makes things difficult but one needs to learn to adjust and not expect everyone else to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
That's ridiculously unnecessary.

Quoting pce68:

My friend get a pass for her son every time they go to Six Flags, and I assume every time they go to Disney. He has Type 1 diabetes, which yes is a serious condition, but they have everything he needs with them at all times, so I don't see why they need to skip lines or go in a special line to wait. When he went to Six Flags with my church group, there were rides that he and his friends got to ride that nobody else in our group got to go on bc the lines were too long, but bc he is diabetic he got to skip the line. Didn't seem fair to me.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Anyone who wants to be "treated like everyone else" should be treated like everyone else.  That includes waiting in like.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I think that's an intresting question. My DS is special needs. He is capable of walking but has orthopedic problems and can not walk long distances. He has a wheel chair we use when we go to places we will be on our feet all day at, such as amusement parks. We buy summer passes to one every yr. He doesn't ride rides though, he is afraid of them. We DO NOT get special passes. He LOVES going to see all the excitement though. We go weekly during the summer and fall.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I like going on rides but I can't stand in the line or I will start to hurt very bad and then won't be able to walk. I don't get a wheel chair every time because that can become expensive. They have handicap lines in Disneyland.
Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Any older people, over 65, especially if they have trouble getting around should have special treatment. We can't always see disabilities. The child with type 1 diabetes might need special treatment if he needs to be sure to have food and if the wait is long. If there are children with severe anxieties or manic depressive, then it is in all our interests to have the child go to the front of the line. But they should have something from their doctor if it is not easilyh seen so they can get a special pass at the office because disabilities are not always seen. I have been in a scooter and have had some special treatment but I've had to be in lines, too. I can walk a short distance but I can't stand long. I havne't gotten a special guest services pass but was never told I needed one. There should be some procedure to allow a way for the disability to be recognized for the special treatment.
Megara
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM
2 moms liked this

You cannot buy a pass to jump to the front of the line at Disney.  Fastpass is offered to ANYONE, it is not an extra charge, and it does not grant front of the line status, but a shorter line.  Universal Studios does charge for a service that is basically the same thing.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Well, there are passes you can buy to skip to the front of the line in some places.  They do have them at Disney, but I don't know about Six Flags.  Anyone can buy them, if I remember correctly.

Quoting pce68:

My friend get a pass for her son every time they go to Six Flags, and I assume every time they go to Disney. He has Type 1 diabetes, which yes is a serious condition, but they have everything he needs with them at all times, so I don't see why they need to skip lines or go in a special line to wait. When he went to Six Flags with my church group, there were rides that he and his friends got to ride that nobody else in our group got to go on bc the lines were too long, but bc he is diabetic he got to skip the line. Didn't seem fair to me.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)