Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which people should be allowed to get special treatment at an amusement park?

Posted by   + Show Post

I understand that people with physical disabilities, such as those in wheelchairs, will need some special assistance, a guest services pass. Hearing impaired people will need interpreters. But what other conditions? I have a friend whose son has Type 1 diabetes. Should he be allowed to skip the line at Six Flags or other amusement parks? Should a child with severe anxiety be allowed special treatment at an amusement park? Which conditions require special treatment? And I'm not bashing anyone who feels like their child needs this treatment. I'm just curious as to what other people think.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Replies (41-50):
SandyLaxner
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
9 moms liked this

Quoting GOBryan:

They call it an Assistance Pass and one can pick it up at Customer Relations in Disney and similar places. It's free. 

Severe anxiety or Autism because they can't wait and don't generally understand. I have two children with Autism and if it wasn't for the pass they give us, we would never be able to enjoy the parks. Even with the pass, the few minutes he's required to wait is hard. I have to help him focus on counting in order for him to calm down and wait but it's very frustrating. 

Thank you.  My DS 6yo ASD .  There are a lot of things we are unable to do/places we cannot go.  I say,folks,be glad if you and your family are healthy enough to stand in lines w/o any help.  Understand that there are those who cannot.

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on May. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Notice I put a question mark after my first sentence. I was just venturing a guess. I've never thought about this much before

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

rissamom224
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I don't know, I always thought I should get special treatment any where.

Donnah118
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I would guess physical impairments. I really can't see anxiety as requiring a reasonable accomadation at an amusement park. What on earth for? It's a park not a therapists office.
NoahandEliza
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
For diabetes?? I've had it since I was 5 and never, in the 24 years I've had it, has it impaired my ability to stand in a line. If it were a possibility that my bloodsugar would get too low in the next little while, I would be eating before it ever entered my mind to get in line. How fast I could get to the front wouldn't make a difference. Now my sil has more trouble controlling her's and low bloodsugar can come on without warning, but even in that case, skipping in line wouldn't help.

Quoting pce68:

My friend get a pass for her son every time they go to Six Flags, and I assume every time they go to Disney. He has Type 1 diabetes, which yes is a serious condition, but they have everything he needs with them at all times, so I don't see why they need to skip lines or go in a special line to wait. When he went to Six Flags with my church group, there were rides that he and his friends got to ride that nobody else in our group got to go on bc the lines were too long, but bc he is diabetic he got to skip the line. Didn't seem fair to me.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Anyone who wants to be "treated like everyone else" should be treated like everyone else.  That includes waiting in like.

Gorilla_Mama
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I want trying to be rude at all, just playing devils advocate.

Quoting zomgkerrie:

Notice I put a question mark after my first sentence. I was just venturing a guess. I've never thought about this much before

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

Rileyscute
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I don't particularly agree with it..in general.

a lot of places here have special days and events for special needs kids..I would rather that, than deal with the ruckus of any other day

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on May. 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Devils advocate is always fun ;) no worries!

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Nobody

yikesitsmindy
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I am not trying to be rude, but what sort of rides would you be able to ride with oxygen? Can you go without it for a stretch? If standing in line for 45 minutes will run down your tank, how do you get anything done? what if you are stuck in traffic? again I am not trying to be rude, I am just curious.

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Yeah, I basically feel the same way which is why I don't go to amusement parks. I'm on supplemental oxygen and I will run out of air with line wait times. It sucks having to miss out on stuff, but the dirty looks are....really dirty.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Anyone who wants to be "treated like everyone else" should be treated like everyone else.  That includes waiting in like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured