Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can NOT STOP dh from giving the baby Dr. Pepper! ETA!

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:06 AM
  • 57 Replies
O.k., so already, my family's diet has taken a turn for the worse since dh and I got Married. I always kept healthy, organic food in the house and only kept junk food around when there was a b-day party, ( and they'd get candy on the normal candy friendly holidays). Dh keeps bringing tons of junk food into the housse. Lately, what's ticking me off even worse is that at night when he drinks his Dr. pepper, he will share it with our 1 year old. Actually, the first time he did this was when she was 4 months old!! But now he does it more regularly.

I do everything shy of physically taking it from him to get him to stop, but no matter how much I beg, reason with and gripe, he continues to give her soda! His defense is, ''she likes it!" Duh! It's sugar. Of course she likes it. That doesn't make it good for her!

ETA: Really, this is just an example of dh thinking he's an expert in things he has very little experience and knowledge in. This is MY third child, and his first, and I've done tons of research and reading and talking with the pediatrician about every possible aspect of parenting and child health. He has never so much as read one magazine article, yet any time we disagree about anything, he insists he knows better. The Doctors are quacks, the articles and books are malarchy and my experience counts for nothing. HE is the expert. Here are some examples of his pearls of wisdom;
1. If a baby is fussy, and won't take the binky, put honey on it, (no, I did NOT let him do that)
2. Kids only need as much sleep as adults
3. It's fine to let kids watch all kinds of blood and gore on t.v.
4. What goes into the mouth has very little effect on health
5. Babies MUST sleep in at least the same room as the parents, if not the same bed. Moving the baby to her own crib in her own room would be cruel and negligent.
6. Babies AND toddlers must always get. What they want if they throw a fit. If at one year of age you begin putting the baby down and walking away from her every time she screeches for no reason or chomps down HARD on the breast you are cold hearted and cruel.

The only thing worse than parenting with an idiot is the idiot thinking he's an expert.
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Wow. Maybe try explaining why it's so bad for her will help him to stop?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Good luck with this.

Kris_PBG
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Wow... That is insane. Time for a serious sit down talk - STAT.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM
4 moms liked this
Print out all the chemicals and ingredients in it and what those chemicals can do to her and tell him he's going to rot her teeth as well. If he didn't stop, I would seriously start throwing out all the soda every time he bought some. I would open the cans one at a time and pour them down the drain right in front of him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Is it sips or big swigs?
Mamabear010
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Seriously?! Who does that? Wow... But yeah, Dh would get away with that once. After wards every single can/bottle he brought into my house would go down the sink.

Jade_Lufercus
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I would smack that drink right out of my DH's hand, then make him clean up the mess. That is TERRIBLE for your baby. I mean, seriously.

If my DH tells me something he really doesn't like that I do with the kid and gives me a good reason why he doesn't like it, I'll stop. And he does the same for me. 

svolkov
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldnt allow it. Seriously id leave. Not saying divorce but I wouldnt come home with my baby until he was ready respect my childs health
loisl25
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM
I do. I tell him it will rot her teeth, that she'll get addicted to it and want to drink that instead of water for the rest of her life, that it will likely cause diabetes, obesity, have her up late, etc... he just keeps sharing it with her.

Quoting celestegood:

Wow. Maybe try explaining why it's so bad for her will help him to stop?

marihla
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Does he know there's caffeine in it????? Seriously, wtf!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)