Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How the F did you not know something was wrong with him????

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 3:46 AM
  • 56 Replies
1 mom liked this

Going to vent here so i don't vent AT her and lose a friend.

One of my friends, we'll call her A, watched my boys tonight so hubs and i could go on a double date to a movie and dinner with another couple we know. Both boys were fine when we dropped them off, not so much as a sniffle. However a kid in my older boys class came in yesterday with a horrible cold, coughing and sneezing all over the place and on the other kids, and my son has a weak immune system.

It turned out the movie we went to see was sold out so instead we all went to have a snack and get some quick birthday shopping done. We were back to pick up the boys in less than 2 hours. 

I walk in and my older son is slumped on her couch, not moving, eyes fogged out and shaking a bit. She starts telling me how he was soooo well behaved and didn't give her any trouble but that he didn't want to eat any dinner. She had no idea anything was wrong. By the time i got him home his temp was almost 104 and he was shaking so bad we had to carry him in.

I just find it so frustratingly absurd that she didn't realize he'd come down sick. She's a mother of a little one the same age, you'd think she'd recognize the signs of a sudden illness in a little kid. I've never been so happy to not be able to get into a movie i'd wanted to see. If we'd gone to the movie my son would have ended up in the hospital with her not recognizing and dosing him for the fever before it got too high.

by on May. 5, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 3:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Did you find out what was wrong???
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on May. 5, 2013 at 3:48 AM

oh wow, that is scary. I don't get it, how could she not notice?

Arroree
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Quoting kmorales7690:

Did you find out what was wrong???

He's been coughing a bit off and on since we got him home. We're pretty sure he caught the cold the kid in his class has, she was coughing and sneezing all over all the kids, right in their faces and everything.

Because of his immune system being weak he tends to catch stuff really easily. Usually he can avoid stuff by not having contact with the sick kids/adults and his teacher helps me keep things sanitized around him and anything he uses in class is sanitized first. This though was coughs and sneezes right in his face, no avoiding it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 3:56 AM
9 moms liked this

If he has a weak immune system, and you knew he had been exposed to something, why would you go out rather than stay with him for 24 hours to make sure he was okay? That sounds like irresponsible parenting to me... I know my son has a weak immune system, so when I knew hes been exposed to something I keep an eye on him for the next day or so.

MamaTrombley
by on May. 5, 2013 at 3:57 AM

I hope he feels better soon.

Arroree
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Quoting bustybee:

oh wow, that is scary. I don't get it, how could she not notice?

I thought she understood that he could come down sick at any time, any day, but apparently she just didn't get it. It's hard for some to really get it, they look at him and think "oh he looks normal so moms just being silly about all the issues she says he must have"  Since his disabilities are all internal and neurological they tend to blow him off as just another regular kid they don't have to watch carefully.  So she thought he was just kicking back watching a movie, it didn't even occur to her to check on him.

Needless to say she won't be babysitting him again.

angevil53
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 4:00 AM
1 mom liked this
And she clearly said he'd been coughing. So mom missed some signs too...

Quoting Anonymous:

If he has a weak immune system, and you knew he had been exposed to something, why would you go out rather than stay with him for 24 hours to make sure he was okay? That sounds like irresponsible parenting to me... I know my son has a weak immune system, so when I knew hes been exposed to something I keep an eye on him for the next day or so.

Arroree
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

It was over 24 hours since he'd been exposed and he'd had no signs or symptoms, so yes, we were being responsible about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 4:02 AM
3 moms liked this

Had you been taking his temp every 4 hours since he was exposed? 

Did you tell the friend to keep an eye on him because he had been exposed? 

Did you tell her to check his temp regularly?

Seriously, you're the mother, this is on you.

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Anonymous:

It was over 24 hours since he'd been exposed and he'd had no signs or symptoms, so yes, we were being responsible about it.

marney.p
by on May. 5, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Im confused. Was he unable to verbalise to her that he was feeling sick???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured