Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spinal fusion

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:13 AM
Bec
  • 7 Replies

My mother in law is set to get a spinal fusion really soon. I don't generally like her but I intend to support her. She broke her back while working in labor and delivery and will have to learn to walk again, will be in a body cast, won't be able to move much of a inch while her spine fuses. I want to help and her husband works long hours a lot of days. What kind of freezable meals would you make for someone in her situation? Nothing that will activate her digestive system too badly (they're going in through her stomach first) and she doesn't like soup....

by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
horseap
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:21 AM

You could always do crockpot meals for her.  Put the stuff in a bag and in the freezer, she can dump everything and not worry about it.  Get her some of the liners so she doesnt have to worry about scrubbing. 

Ive been through this enough that its not that big of a deal.

rebeccarae
by Bec on May. 5, 2013 at 5:26 AM

I could try. The fact that she'll be in a body cast and her menu blind husband is left to cook is why I'm considering all angles. Nothing to upset her digestive system. Imagine in being able to walk, and the straining with multiple incisions.

Quoting horseap:

You could always do crockpot meals for her.  Put the stuff in a bag and in the freezer, she can dump everything and not worry about it.  Get her some of the liners so she doesnt have to worry about scrubbing. 

horseap
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Im guessing it will be one on her hip (for the bone needed in the cage) and the abdominal.  Honestly, youre better off giving her applesauce and boxed potatoes.    Food will be the last thing on her mind.  Her stomach isnt going to be right for a while. Between them moving everything and the gasses.  Yeah its not a pretty picture.

Quoting rebeccarae:

I could try. The fact that she'll be in a body cast and her menu blind husband is left to cook is why I'm considering all angles. Nothing to upset her digestive system. Imagine in being able to walk, and the straining with multiple incisions.

Quoting horseap:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
rebeccarae
by Bec on May. 5, 2013 at 5:39 AM

Not at all. Thanks for the input, never really have been confused when it comes to helping someone out.

Quoting horseap:

Im guessing it will be one on her hip (for the bone needed in the cage) and the abdominal.  Honestly, youre better off giving her applesauce and boxed potatoes.    Food will be the last thing on her mind.  Her stomach isnt going to be right for a while. Between them moving everything and the gasses.  Yeah its not a pretty picture.

Quoting rebeccarae:

Quoting horseap:

horseap
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:51 AM

My mom has been through this many times from the initial surgery... to repairs on the cage, hernias from the incisions.  Then (because the surgery is a bad idea and if there was another way for her so she didnt have this surgery I would tell her to not have it) because of the cage her spine is now deteriorating.  She has had 2 surgeries done on her neck 1 because of the discs the other because she fell from the nerve damage to her spine she lost feeling in her leg... She broke the fusion and had a broken neck for weeks.  If she can do without this surgery... dont let her do it.

Quoting rebeccarae:

Not at all. Thanks for the input, never really have been confused when it comes to helping someone out.

Quoting horseap:

Quoting rebeccarae:

Quoting horseap:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I have had my spine fused twice with poor results. With that said after both surgeries I was unable to eat for the first 10 days due to severe nausea and pain. I drank at least two Boost drinks a day for the nutrients. I would start out with light meals at first and make sure she remains hydrated. Good luck.

rebeccarae
by Bec on May. 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I don't know want her but she's adamant about it. Ugh/: tthey promised no pain after the healing which is bound to be a crock of shit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured