Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Removing mirena yourself

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

So I was googling the removal of mirena and what people experienced. I am a nurse I know how to remove it I just wanted people personal points of view.

Well anyways we all know that when we start typing stuff in google it tries to think for us...well it popped up "self removal of mirena" for me and I was like sure lets see what this says..everything I read was relatively positive but the posts were older from like 2010 and prior.

I'd like to know has anyone here on Cafemom been brave enough to remove it themselves? How did you do it? Did it hurt? Did you have any issues afterwards? What did your healthcare provider say?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 6:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuirkyMom26
by on May. 5, 2013 at 6:12 AM
1 mom liked this

That seems like an awful idea and the thought of that makes my tummy ache.

* I read briefly about it a minute ago...apparently if you just tug on the string it'll slide right out. Unless the strings are too short or the mirena itself could be embedded up there in which case if it doesn't just slide right out, you'll then need to see a doctor. But a lot of those crazies just pulled it out like a tampon. 

I guess go for it and let us know with a follow up post?  *cringes*

FiestyClark
by on May. 5, 2013 at 6:14 AM

I never known anyone to do that but I have a feeling if you try it, you're going to have a baaad time.sarcasm

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2013 at 6:18 AM

I am not brave enough to try it. I have an appointment to get mine removed I am just genuinely curious. It seems so risky..

I never known anyone to do that but I have a feeling if you try it, you're going to have a baaad time.sarcasm

xXSoSincereXx
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I tried and hubby tried. Scared to pull too hard, made appointment to have it taken out
DevonD83
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:27 AM
I pulled mine out in 2007 while miscarrying. Just got a small hold on the string and it slipped right out. Was told it was probably not in right anymore
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2013 at 6:30 AM
A friend had her husband do it. Slid right out. My doctor did mine but I couldn't even feel the strings
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I just had mine changed. Wasn't about to try it at home. Seems kind of awkward to get the fingers up there to grab the strings and pull. Much easier to just have it removed and replaced at the same time.

Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:51 AM
My sister tore her uterus doing that. I'll just go to my ob when I'm ready.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2013 at 6:53 AM

ouch..was it like embedded??? holy cow!

Quoting Toonkasmommy:

My sister tore her uterus doing that. I'll just go to my ob when I'm ready.

Supervane
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:56 AM
Well if women supposedly preform their own vacuum abortions here, I don't think this is that far fetched
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)