Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is your child a good guest?

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 50 Replies

I am specifically interested in dining out. When your child goes out to dinner with another family, do you trust that she will be a good guest? Have you put any rules in place?

I take kids out a lot and I have noticed a few things. Some kids order the most expensive meal every time. My son is 12 now so we are not talking about kids' meals. We're talking about filet mignon and veal chops. The truth is that I really don't care about the expense but I do find it a little bit off putting because I would not have done that as a child. It prompted me to have a big discussion with my son about ordering something moderate.

As kids we were told to always order the least expensive entree when we went out as a family and I did the same thing when other parents took me out. I don't think that is necessary in fact I think it is a little bit weird but I don't want my child ordering the most expensive item when someone takes him out. 

What do you think about this? Am I just being weird?

by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Suzy_Sunshine
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Damn you all!

You never answer my questions!

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I never really thought about it. I don't think my kids have gone with another family to a restaurant where they'd be ordering expensive things like steak. They usually go to hot dog/burger places or sandwich places. And I don't really take other kids out, if my kids have friends over we usually just order pizza or they eat whatever I made for dinner.

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Mine always order cheeseburgers. It seriously doesn't matter where I take them. They want cheeseburgers, lol. I think it's because we don't eat them very often...

Ali32
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I agree that it is in poor taste for anyone, adult or child, to order the most expensive thing on the menu when someone else is paying. My daughter is only 4 so I haven't come across this yet.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on May. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I think they are good guest. People always want to take them places and I would suppose they wouldn't be invited if they were bad guests. They always order off of the kid's menu or they will ask "What can I have?" and ask for a limit.Many times the parents will say "Anything under $20" and they will pick something half that. I always send them with money anyway so if they see something for more that they want then they will offer to pay for it themselves. 

Suzy_Sunshine
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Well thank you for answering! Maybe that is why it did not resonate with people.

My son is twelve and I have just one child so maybe that is why I run into this more often. 

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I never really thought about it. I don't think my kids have gone with another family to a restaurant where they'd be ordering expensive things like steak. They usually go to hot dog/burger places or sandwich places. And I don't really take other kids out, if my kids have friends over we usually just order pizza or they eat whatever I made for dinner.

GremlinMom
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I was ataught the same. I didn't go out much but I agreed to whatever pizza toppings they asked about so they didn't order a separate one for me. Since i only eat like 2 slices. I did that at dates until my now hubby started ordering more expensive stuff. Even now ill ask if I can get the $15 plate i want instead of settiling for under $10 but i won't just order it unless im paying.... Usually DH is wondering if he can too so we both do lol
Suzy_Sunshine
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

That is funny. Mine never has hot dogs at home so if people offered him a hot dog when he was younger he thought there were the best person on Earth!

Quoting Zazayam:

Mine always order cheeseburgers. It seriously doesn't matter where I take them. They want cheeseburgers, lol. I think it's because we don't eat them very often...

tysmommy98
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM
My son would automatically take the cheapest item. It makes him feel awkward otherwise. He can be shy at times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM
My mother never taught me that. She always said "mind your manners". But naturally I never order the most expensive item on the menu. I never really gave it much thought as far as teaching that to my daughter.

But if I'm inviting you or your child to eat with me (which means I'm paying) I would expect you to order what you like. Enjoy yourself. Just don't try to buy up with whole menu. Lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN