Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You struggle because you didn't do things in the right order...

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM
  • 139 Replies
1 mom liked this
Do you think that is an accurate statement? Did you graduate from college, start your career, get married then have children? Overall do you think those that did not follow that pattern are at a socioeconomic disadvantage? Discuss!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM
My husband and both went to high school and college together. He graduated, I didn't get my degree. We got married, had a baby, we rent a house and had a second baby. He's 23, I'm 21 and we're very well off despite our age. We did things in the "right order" but a lot earlier than most people would.
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM
3 moms liked this
Nope lol

I did things all "out of order" and I don't struggle in the least. I live very comfortably
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
numonestunar
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I did it in the right order as did my husband.
We struggled but that was during college. We didn't have kids until we could financially afford it.
I do think we have an advantage for doing it "right".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poietes
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM
We met in college, dated for 5 years, bought a house, had a baby then got married and had two more. We didnt do things exactly in order but we have a wonderful life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Let see

I met and fell in love and moved in with a man

I finished a techincal degree and got a FT job with benefits while he worked PT and went to college.

We tried for about a year,or just under a year.., I gave birth 3 months before he graduated college.

We got married when our child was 6

We had some pretty lean difficult years. However it was a calculated risk we wanted to take.

We had a time line in which we wanted a child and we achieved that. Even looking back 20 years later we are both enormously thankful and grateful we chose the routes we did.

findingserenity
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM
You live a non traditional life.. not bashing.

Quoting 504bbymami:Nope lol

I did things all "out of order" and I don't struggle in the least. I live very comfortably
unusualmom
by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I worked on my family dairy farm. I graduated high school. I got married.  I ran our family dairy farm.  We quit dairy to run crops and I also got a part time job at UPS.  All in that order. 

Magalie_M
by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I followed the colleague, work, marriage, etc. pattern but I don`t think that those who didn`t are at socioeconomic disadvantage. Lots of them just inherited what I had to struggle for so they could afford having their children earlier than I did. Others don`t think that having a good profession or a home is essential for the well being of their kids and as long as they don`t complain, I respect their decision. It` s a totally different story if they start to complain. Then my answer is "while you enjoyed your youth in endless parties, dates, etc. I was reading and studying for whole nights and couldn`t afford even to go to  a disco, because I was saving any penny for my university fee, I`ve made my choice, you`ve made yours"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM
True.

Hs, meet bd, dropped out, left bd moved back in with parents, got my ged, went to college, dropped out bc my son's special needs, going back to school this month, and have been looking for a job for a year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I did things in the "right" order.

i feel no advantage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)