Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Disney Movies Teach Racism

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 206 Replies

Posted this on my FB because I really liked it:

Person (he unfriended me because I disagreed) stated that " it's a racist movie depicting natives as Savages filled with hatred.". He went on to say that all Disney movies have "terrible racial stereotypes in them", they're '"racially oppressive" and that "even though they may be trying to inforce a positive message, they're also reinforcing damaging racial and cultural stereotypes".

Thoughts?

*To clarify* This is not the first time he and I have had this discussion. He has stated on numerous occassions (one night he filled his FB feed with clips from various Disney films with racist connotations) that Disney teaches racism. He's gone on to say that Disney films are not appropriate for children, 'unless you are raising them to be racist'.

by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM
7 moms liked this
Yeah I somewhat agree. I hated the fact that princess tiana from princess and the frog depicted her as a waitress and had to do with voodoo the entire movie. Why couldn't the only black Disney princess just be a princess?!?! Why couldn't she be rich and live in a castle? Why was she a frog for 70% of the movie? So dumb.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM
5 moms liked this

I think someone just wants to be mad and bitch.

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM
21 moms liked this

Snow White and Cinderella both lived in filth.

Ariel was part fish.

None of the princesses lived a lavish life from beginning to end.

*Let me clarify since some people cannot read a short thread from beginning to end and love arguing for the sake to argue... 

-Ariel was willing to give up ANYTHING/EVERYTHING to be human and have Eric.

-Snow White was forced to dress in rags.

-Cinderella was used as a slave.

-Aurora lived a 'normal' life prior to pricking her finger on the spinning wheel.

-Jasmine was willing to lose her financial status for love and left the palace walls (even if for a brief time) without any money in her pockets.

Also.. Lavish does NOT HAVE to mean money. If you're unhappy in your life, even with all the money one could ask for, you're not living a very lavish life.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah I somewhat agree. I hated the fact that princess tiana from princess and the frog depicted her as a waitress and had to do with voodoo the entire movie. Why couldn't the only black Disney princess just be a princess?!?! Why couldn't she be rich and live in a castle? Why was she a frog for 70% of the movie? So dumb.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM
4 moms liked this

I think some people can find something negative in just about anything.

baquick
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a classic story of rags to riches and showing the wealthy what they truly have without their money. And naturally true love.

Quoting Anonymous:

baquick
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Or prince. Beauty and the beast. Classic story of inner beauty.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Snow White and Cinderella both lived in filth.

Ariel was part fish.

None of the princesses lived a lavish life from beginning to end.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Princess Jasmine did. But anyway- it just sucked that Disney's black princess was a waitress and was really just trying to save up money to open her own restaurant.
Quoting sugarcrisp:

LucyHarper
by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Some Disney movies did have a lot of racial stereotypes in them, thats simply how things were at the time they were made, but Pocahontas is not racist. My husband is Native, 50% blood ratio, and my kids love Pocahontas. It doesn't depict them as savages, while the movie isn't very historically accurate, it just shows the resources they had at the time, and it depicts that they made savage actions, just like the English made savage actions, thats the whole point of the movie is they were both so obsessed with fighting that they didn't stop to understand each other. 

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM

That's what I told him.

He deleted me. Could have been because I disagreed with him or because I told him nearly the same thing you posted, or said I wasn't in the mood to argue stupidity. Or a combination of the three. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I think some people can find something negative in just about anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM

People are too sensitive.  Just don't watch them if you don't like them.  Not everyone finds the same things offensive or racist or what have you.  He needs to get over it and find a better way to spend his time than debating with people on Facebook over Disney movies.  Geez.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)