Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disney Movies Teach Racism

Posted by   + Show Post

Posted this on my FB because I really liked it:

Person (he unfriended me because I disagreed) stated that " it's a racist movie depicting natives as Savages filled with hatred.". He went on to say that all Disney movies have "terrible racial stereotypes in them", they're '"racially oppressive" and that "even though they may be trying to inforce a positive message, they're also reinforcing damaging racial and cultural stereotypes".

Thoughts?

*To clarify* This is not the first time he and I have had this discussion. He has stated on numerous occassions (one night he filled his FB feed with clips from various Disney films with racist connotations) that Disney teaches racism. He's gone on to say that Disney films are not appropriate for children, 'unless you are raising them to be racist'.

by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
_jcls_
by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

A friend and I were talking about this the other day. Mostly about Dumbo and the crows in it. I agree that some cartoons have some adult/ messed up things in them. But he shouldn't have unfriended you because you disagreed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

They did but they didn't have a white rich side kick that seemed to be a bigger part of the movie then she should have been. 

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Snow White and Cinderella both lived in filth.

Ariel was part fish.

None of the princesses lived a lavish life from beginning to end.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah I somewhat agree. I hated the fact that princess tiana from princess and the frog depicted her as a waitress and had to do with voodoo the entire movie. Why couldn't the only black Disney princess just be a princess?!?! Why couldn't she be rich and live in a castle? Why was she a frog for 70% of the movie? So dumb.

starlighthippie
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not a fan of classic disney princess moies for many reasons. I think they teach gender stereotypes, and that yes, they do teach racism, and classism etc. I also find it strange that all the princesses have horrible parents and that most of them do not have a mother. I am really not sure if any of them have a mother actually. Cinderella's creepy abusive stepmommy does not count!

AlvertPartyOf6
by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

He's cray. Back in the day, indians WERE seen as savages, it's not like Disney is the one who first thought of it. Just being historically accurate. 

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Seeing as how The Little Mermaid has always been one of my favorite films, I'm pretty sure I understand the sequence of events in the film. :P

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Ariel was always a princess. She left being princess of the sea to be a human. 

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Snow White and Cinderella both lived in filth.

Ariel was part fish.

None of the princesses lived a lavish life from beginning to end.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah I somewhat agree. I hated the fact that princess tiana from princess and the frog depicted her as a waitress and had to do with voodoo the entire movie. Why couldn't the only black Disney princess just be a princess?!?! Why couldn't she be rich and live in a castle? Why was she a frog for 70% of the movie? So dumb.

LucyHarper
by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Its a rags to riches story, just like in many other disney movies. Cinderella started out as a maid. They wanted to be a film depicting a historical period, the jazz period of New Orleans, and in that time period the majority of black women were waitresses, nannies, etc. Its not racist (though it was racist that thats what they were limited to), its history, they are just showing how it was then. Disney said they are done with the whole princess in a castle thing, they have done it over and over and they want to make princesses that people can actually relate to, ones who have to work hard as a waitress to accomplish their dreams. 

Quoting Anonymous:

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on May. 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Well she couldn't have been human for that much of the movie. Then the movie would have been boring as hell and there wouldn't have been a movie.Mulan was a boy for 70% of her movie (not really but close enough).

And New Orleans is famous for having voodoo going on. Especially down in the bayou. Without the voodoo the scenery could have been NYC but it wasn't. It was Louisiana during Mardi Gras. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this
She was a strong independent woman who knew what she wanted and worked hard for it. How is that bad?

Quoting Anonymous:

Princess Jasmine did. But anyway- it just sucked that Disney's black princess was a waitress and was really just trying to save up money to open her own restaurant.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM

You do realize that through time films were a reflection of how society, white man mostly, saw the world and those 'less than' them, right?

Furthermore, many of the older Disney films were interpretations (made more age appropriate for lack of a better term) of other stories.

Quoting starlighthippie:

I am not a fan of classic disney princess moies for many reasons. I think they teach gender stereotypes, and that yes, they do teach racism, and classism etc. I also find it strange that all the princesses have horrible parents and that most of them do not have a mother. I am really not sure if any of them have a mother actually. Cinderella's creepy abusive stepmommy does not count!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Right. And I'm not saying that it isn't great to show her working so hard to fulfill her dreams, that part is fine. But it is still extremely stereotypical as far as the characters, the setting, the situation. You don't see voodoo in any white princess movies! And has any other Disney princess ever turned into anything else like tiana turned into a frog? I don't believe so.
Quoting littlesippycup:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured