Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my brother's wedding is turning into a money pit! ugh!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
I haven't been to too many wedding nor have I been in many weddings. Well at the last minute my brother asked my Dh to be a groomsmen. Well they had a meeting today and I found out from Dh that he has to pay my brother $70 so he can pay for the stuff for the bachelor party. Yes my brother is planning his own bachelor party and wants everyone in the wedding party to pay him $70 to pay for the bachelor party. I also found out that he has to go get fitted for his tux this week and it's going to cost $320. That's $390 that We are out and We didn't benifits from it at all. Oh and not to mention We have to get them a wedding gift and I have to get my sil a gift bridal shower and fork out money for the rehearsal dinner. This wedding is turning into a money pit. Is this how weddings are?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on May. 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Ugh, I hear ya. Mi sister gt married yesterday. Me, DH and both girls were in the wedding. It cost us just over $3000.00. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Consider yourself lucky. My sister's wedding has already cost me $6K and I still need to get outfits, a gift, car rental, and miscellaneous expenses that come from being out of town for two weeks.
ElizabethGracie
by on May. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM

In my experience with weddings,yep.They usually cost a lot of money, especially if you're in the bridal party or are family/close friend. I hated going to weddings in that post-college-no-money period of my life,not because I wasn't happy for my friends and didn't want to celebrate with them,but because the weddings usually drained my bank account.

CafeMom Tickers

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Actually, that's not bad at all.

My hubby was best man in his brothers wedding and his tux was $295 and we planned and PAID for the entire bachelor party, which I lost count of how much we spent after we hit the $600 mark :( 
That didn't include the shower gift, the money in the wedding card and the limo we pitched in for to drive the wedding party from the church to the reception.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Aw I know someone that got married yesterday. May is a busy month. My sister is getting married in a couple weeks too

Quoting vegaswife2011:

Ugh, I hear ya. Mi sister gt married yesterday. Me, DH and both girls were in the wedding. It cost us just over $3000.00. 

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on May. 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Yea most tux rentals are over $200.
I got got married and didn't have a shower we just got together for some drinks at a pub and that was my bacheloret party. I didn't ask anyone for money though and the bridesmaid dresses cost less the the tuxes.
Sunshine2plus2
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Wow never heard of the people asked to be in the wedding to pay for their own stuff. Odd to me!

mattiehatter
by Mary on May. 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM
I hear you. I was in my best friends wedding two years ago and shelled out half my dress, my hair, transportation back and forth about 60ish miles one way four times to pick up/drop off the photographer (my sister shot the wedding), plus stuff for under the dress (spanxx I was dealing with pregnancy bloat) and other things I'm certain I'm forgetting. Oh and I paid my sister as a wedding gift.
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Weddings are ridiculously expensive.  They don't *have* to be that way.  A simple civil ceremony costs much less, is easier on the pocketbooks of the families, and the couple is no less married than they are after blowing tens of thousands on a big show-off shindig.

mattiehatter
by Mary on May. 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM
You're brother asking for money for his bachelor party is super tacky IMO.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN