Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What kind of problem do we have here?

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:07 PM
  • 43 Replies

My dh is convinced we have fleas but I'm not sure. He thinks our one cat that slips outside sometimes brought them in. Personally, I haven't seen the cats scratching themselves more often or really any evidence of fleas except for the marks on my dh's skin. He has red irritated itchy bumps on his butt and legs. 1 on his mid back. There's really quite a few of them, poor guy. But I haven't been bit even once and neither have my 2 kids.

The cat that stays inside all the time has a mark on her head that just showed up. Don't know if it's from scratching herself too hard from these possible fleas we have or from the other cat playing too rough with her. 

So, does it sound like we have fleas? If not, what else could it be? What would bite him but not anyone else? If it was bed bugs woudln't they get me too? I sleep in the same bed for the same amount of time (maybe even more than him). The only place he goes that I don't is work. But he doesn't work outside or anything. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what this is. Help!

Btw, the cats get monthly flea treatment - the liquid stuff on the back of the neck. 

by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soph324
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Are they small, itchy bumps that are really hard? That's what a flea bite looks like. Also, it your cats will let you, look closely at the skin on their bellies. If they have fleas you'll see them, or what looks like dirt on their skin. Sometimes you can see them by the base of the tail too. If you don't see any signs, odds are your dh just got bitten by a random bug.
Magalie_M
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Fleas don`t bite humans. He may suffer from a sexually transmitted diseace and made up the flea story

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM
They do actually....

Quoting Magalie_M:

Fleas don`t bite humans. He may suffer from a sexually transmitted diseace and made up the flea story

vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Um, no idea, good luck though!

elites2012
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM

it might be fleas, however since ur treating ur cat, it will take a few days for them to die off the cat.  get a carpet treatment for ur carpet if you have carpeted floors. 

shudderette
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Thanks so much for replying! I just checked the kitties. I didn't see a single spot on either of them that could have been a flea.

Some of my dh's spots are the size of a dime but most are a little bit smaller than that. They definitely look like bite marks of some kind. I broke out in hives a few days ago on my legs and never figured out why. His don't look like hives. 

I don't know if they're hard or not. He won't let me touch them.

Quoting soph324:

Are they small, itchy bumps that are really hard? That's what a flea bite looks like. Also, it your cats will let you, look closely at the skin on their bellies. If they have fleas you'll see them, or what looks like dirt on their skin. Sometimes you can see them by the base of the tail too. If you don't see any signs, odds are your dh just got bitten by a random bug.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Have you brushed your cats with a flea comb? You could always give them a bath with the blue Dawn  dishwashing liquid, it's what my vet uses to kill fleas.  

shudderette
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM

This morning I bought the powder stuff to treat the carpet but when I got home I read the back and it says not to use it on the whole house, only on a 3x3 area. What the heck? Why would you only treat a 3x3 area of your house? So I haven't used it yet. Should I go ahead and ignore the label and use it on the whole house? I'm so confused :(

Quoting elites2012:

it might be fleas, however since ur treating ur cat, it will take a few days for them to die off the cat.  get a carpet treatment for ur carpet if you have carpeted floors. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

What???

sidesplittinglaughter

I hope you aren't serious.

Quoting Magalie_M:

shudderette
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I don't have a flea comb or flea shampoo. I do have Dawn but if I wash the kitties (and boy would they HATE that!) wouldn't that wash off the flea treatment I put on them? And I read that giving them a bath strips their natural oils, which is what the medicine clings to when you put it on so you have to wait 3 days for the oils to build back up before putting the medicine back on. Do I really want to leave them untreated for 3 days? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you brushed your cats with a flea comb? You could always give them a bath with the blue Dawn  dishwashing liquid, it's what my vet uses to kill fleas.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)