Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Im not going to apologize because my child received a lot for her birthday

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM
  • 197 Replies
My dd turned 5 today. It's her golden birthday as well so its extra special. She is the only grandchild of my parents, the only great grandchild of my grandmother, and the only neice of my siblings. So she gets spoiled on her birthday. She did get a lot, but nothing extravagant. She received lots of summer clothes, some barbie clothes, a play doh set, some coloring books and reading books, an alarm clock as well as a learning clock (we are working on telling time), bubbles, a hula hoop, and a stuffed dog. The only expensive thing she received was a leapster? The leap frog that looks like a game boy. And it was from my parents and my mom got a sweet deal on it. Everything else? Nothing was more expensive than $10, most of her clothes were bought on clearance, and everything else was from like Big Lots or Marshalls and even some choice gifts from the dollar store. Hell I threw her entire party, which included decorations, presents from us, cake, and food and drinks to feed everyone, and I spent under $80. My friend (who is dd's best friends mom, did you follow that?) made a comment about how her daughter won't be getting nearly as much for her birthday in three weeks, and there will be twice as many people. Also, she can't believe how much I probably spent on this party. I couldn't tell if it was jealousy, or condescending or what but all I said was "it wasn't that much, and its our first get together in our new house, I wanted it to be memorable". She gave me this look like, whatever, like I should somehow be ashamed that my daughter got presents from everyone who attended and the party didn't appear low budget, when really it was. What was she expecting me to say? Is it wrong to want the birthday experience to be wonderful? I could see if she gets spoiled all the time but its only on Christmas and her birthday so I don't see what the issue is.

A GOLDEN BIRTHDAY is when you turn the same age as your birthdate. Turning 5 on the 5th or turning 29 on the 29th.
by on May. 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on May. 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Definitely jealousy. I got 2 Leapsters for my boys for Christmas and spent a total of 30 bucks on the 2 of them. I never spend much on them, but make it go as far as I can with sales and deals :> sounds like a lovely party!

BEXi
by BEXi on May. 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM
9 moms liked this

How about saying something encouraging, like "im sure your DDs party will be great!"

Oh well too late now lol.

bensmommy1
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM
My son gets a ton of presents for his bday. She is just jealous :)
eesmommy
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Ummm... and you care what she thinks because ........ don't let her idioticness get to you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this
Bahh! she is just jealous. i spend over 1000 last week for my baby's first bday!! i do not give a fck what others think.. Theu dont pay my bills!
nomadbrat83
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Then she probably would have been horrified with our oldest dd's 5th birthday (last year). We threw her a carnival lol. Actually the neighborhood kids were playing with the ticket booth my BIL and twin sis made for the carnival party just this afternoon.
CatFishMom
by on May. 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM

A question unrelated to yours, Im afraid, and Im seriously not being judgmental. Why is five so special?? My mother keeps telling me that my son's birthday this year is BIG because he's five and Im like, really? Dont misunderstand, I throw a birthday party and make a big deal out of EVERY birthday, it's not like we just give him a gift and do nothing special. She keeps talking about how his birthday is more important than my other son's, who is turning two, and it's really pissing me off because I will NOT allow her to try to make one shine brighter than the other. (Their birthdays are a month apart and we were going to have a joint party because our baby is due right smack in the middle of both of them. I finaly vetoed that because she kept going on and on about how important number one's birthday is and I wasnt having my second's birthday ruined thanks to her thinking the other should be more special) So please tell me why it's so special!

And your friend can stuff it-it's not like you bought the kid all those gifts yourself, it's none of her business how much your family members spent on your daughter's gifts or how many she received, and for your party, well, maybe shes afraid her daughter is going to think your daughter's was better. If thats the reason, I feel for her but it's still not your fault.

Lizard_Lina
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Well this one was big because its her golden birthday. Turning five on the fifth. I STILL haven't gotten to my golden birthday. I'll be 29 lol that's the only reason it was any bigger deal than the others.
I guess I could see if it was because her daughter saw all her gifts, but I don't raise my daughter to be material. She would have been just as happy with 3 presents as she was with what she got today.

Quoting CatFishMom:

A question unrelated to yours, Im afraid, and Im seriously not being judgmental. Why is five so special?? My mother keeps telling me that my son's birthday this year is BIG because he's five and Im like, really? Dont misunderstand, I throw a birthday party and make a big deal out of EVERY birthday, it's not like we just give him a gift and do nothing special. She keeps talking about how his birthday is more important than my other son's, who is turning two, and it's really pissing me off because I will NOT allow her to try to make one shine brighter than the other. (Their birthdays are a month apart and we were going to have a joint party because our baby is due right smack in the middle of both of them. I finaly vetoed that because she kept going on and on about how important number one's birthday is and I wasnt having my second's birthday ruined thanks to her thinking the other should be more special) So please tell me why it's so special!

And your friend can stuff it-it's not like you bought the kid all those gifts yourself, it's none of her business how much your family members spent on your daughter's gifts or how many she received, and for your party, well, maybe shes afraid her daughter is going to think your daughter's was better. If thats the reason, I feel for her but it's still not your fault.

Lizard_Lina
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
That's pretty cool. I'm saving up for a new car, and we just got a house, haven't even been here a year, and she knows this. And while it was a party on a budget, it came out awesome. There was more than enough food, the whole house inside and out was decorated with balloons and streamers, the tables all had princess tablecloths, she had a banner, a princess cake, drinks, games etc. Without presents factored in I probably spent like $40. But it didn't look like it. I guess I was surprised cuz I was really proud of myself for pulling together a really nice party and she was just, ugh, like because I'm broke basically we shouldn't be able to have such a nice party. Like, I'm sorry you can't budget worth a damn? I didnt really know what to say.

Quoting nomadbrat83:

Then she probably would have ben horrified with our oldest dd's 5th birthday (last year). We threw her a carnival lol. Actually the neighborhood kids were playing with the ticket booth my BIL and twin sis made for the carnival party just this afternoon.

Lizard_Lina
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I spent like $40 on food and decorations and $40 on presents. You would have never known. But I agree. Who cares. She gets a birthday once a year. If I can afford it who cares? It's not like I spoil her 24/7.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bahh! she is just jealous. i spend over 1000 last week for my baby's first bday!! i do not give a fck what others think.. Theu dont pay my bills!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN