Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who knows about cat's and pregnancy? HELP!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies
1 mom liked this
Okay so awhile ago my cat (About 1 yr old) got outside. I knew she was in heat and tried EVERYTHING to keep her in, but my 6 year old opened the door and let her out. I noticed lately she is getting bigger in the belly and had my husband hold her while I put my hand on her belly. I could feel her baby(or babies)move. She is a relatively small cat, actually, she still looks like a kitten. I know she is 6-7 weeks pregnant based on when her heat cycle was. Anyone know when I should expect the babies? What do I do to make sure she doesn't have the babies outside? How many might she have? Is there any other info I might need to know before the babies come? I am going to set her up to be spayed as soon as possible (after she gives birth of course). HELP ME!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM
BUMP
jillbailey26
by Jill on May. 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM

They're usually pregnant for about 9 weeks.  Try to keep her inside as much as possible.  She should be somewhat calm and lazy now.  It was easy to keep our cat inside.  There's no telling how many she could have in there.  I was told that first litters were typically small and ours had 6 kittens.  So there went that theory, lol.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM
6 in ONE litter! Holy cow. Well she is BIG but not THAT big. I can post a pic of her later. She is REALLY lazy and used to be sweet and lovable but had since turned into a MAJOR "B". I am trying to help the kids understand WHY she needs to STAY INSIDE, but they like to let her out often. She cries at the door for hours.I know it isn't because she has to potty because she uses the litter box inside.
Quoting jillbailey26:

They're usually pregnant for about 9 weeks.  Try to keep her inside as much as possible.  She should be somewhat calm and lazy now.  It was easy to keep our cat inside.  There's no telling how many she could have in there.  I was told that first litters were typically small and ours had 6 kittens.  So there went that theory, lol.  

bchic24
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM
She should be due in a couple of weeks if you're sure on how far along she is. One of our cats got HUGE and only had three and one of our cats was itty bitty and had 8 so there's really no way to know. Keep her inside and set up a nice soft, warm spot for her to use. In my experience out cats always preferred the little bed to be somewhere dark and quiet. GL
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM

It's around 9 weeks.  First litters are usually small, like 2-3 kittens, but  you'll be able to feel them more as she progresses.  Cats like to run off and hide to have their babies so you'll just need to keep her inside and make a safe place in a closet or somewhere secluded.  Remove the shoes from a closet if that's where you put a box for her.  I've heard a lot of stories about cats having kittens in shoes and boots.

ivy801
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Look some of this answers up online. Find a nice quiet place for her to have her babies. Ours use to love using our dressers to give birth. If you can, take a drawer out and give her a couple of your old shirts if she is effectionate to you. Ours were so use to us she let us handle her babies but not all cats are the same. Make sure she doesn't get outside or she'll give birth outside and may never see those kittens. Even at home she might try to move her babies around is just instinct for her to do this. Good luck.
tardistraveller
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM
2 moms liked this

did you ever think of fixing her?

Michaelsmom0522
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Expect them in 1-2 weeks. She will probably go looking for a place where she wants to have the babies..just watch her so you'll know where or put her in her own little box with bedding and stuff. She probably won't do anything to make it known she's having them. I think cats are pretty to themselves about things like this.

jillbailey26
by Jill on May. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine wasn't really that big either.  We were VERY surprised, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

6 in ONE litter! Holy cow. Well she is BIG but not THAT big. I can post a pic of her later. She is REALLY lazy and used to be sweet and lovable but had since turned into a MAJOR "B". I am trying to help the kids understand WHY she needs to STAY INSIDE, but they like to let her out often. She cries at the door for hours.I know it isn't because she has to potty because she uses the litter box inside.
Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

fairyjester
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM

gestation period is about 63 days  give or take.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured