Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is society so Anti-familybed?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 227 Replies
3 moms liked this
As adults in healthy loving relationships we crave our other half when we sleep. When they are gone we do not sleep as well. When we are alone at home we might leave a light on, or get a dog as a false sense of security.

That's what the kids are craving too. Mommy & Daddy make them feel safe when they are insecure. Why is it so taboo to alow small children the security that their parents will protect them why the sleep. Think about it really, we force them to sleep alone when in reality less than 1/2 their life is it really "inappropriate" to sleep (NOTHING SEXUAL) with another human. Out of an 80 year life span apox 16-18 years they have to sleep alone, why are we forcing young children to be independent sleepers when technically it's not an adult skill either. Eventually your child will want their own space, why ignore their need for your comfort when young.

TO CLARIFY: Not newborns, simply because I am not here to argue safety lets start this at age 10 months. Also no sexy time talk, I highly doubt every moment you lie next to your SO you are sexually explicit, 98% of the time you are sleeping.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Huh?
Sounds like made up angst to me.

Wtf does It matter what someone else's opinion is on it? It's your bed do what you want.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Idk, I used a sidecar crib. Mostly because it made nighttime feedings so much easier!

SavdNSanctified
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I sleep in one of my 2 daughter's beds every night and my husband sleeps in my sons bed every night with him. My daughters are 6 and 3 and my son is 2.

ripemango
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

specify american society

Lisha77
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM
10 moms liked this
I'm not anti-family bed. I belong to the "I don't want to be touched while I'm asleep" crowd.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM
12 moms liked this
I prefer marital bed.

I don't have a family bed because my bedroom is for my marriage.
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM
4 moms liked this

I can't answer for society. I can only tell you that for me, my bed is my own. I share it with my spouse because that IS my other half. My child is not. I don't feel like its "unfair" that I get a sleep partner and they don't. When they get married they can sleep with someone too. Until then, the marriage bed is for married people. It's not a family bed!

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Lexi has been sleeping with us since birth. Callie slept with us for her first 9m. I didn't know society was against co-sleeping since us safer then sleeping alone in a crib.
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I often wonder how many fathers suggest sleeping all in one bed with the kids and wife.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

If my children get scared, they can climb into my bed.. However, they've never felt the "need" to sleep with me.  They prefer their own beds.. and always have. 

It's not forbidden.  It's just not preferred at my house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured