Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It's really none of anyone's business ...

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM
  • 63 Replies
6 moms liked this

Okay so I've seen some posts on here that are talking about how much other people spend money .. I read a post where a woman went and bought her son a brand new uniform for a ceremony type thingie, then I just seen a post where a woman was talking about her friend being jealous over her having a nice party for her 5 year old. 

I just don't get it.. Why concern yourself with what others spend? My family spends a lot of money. My kids have everything they want .. Because their "job" is to do good in school, and they are. I do take things away when they are bad, I'll take their tv, or one of their game consoles, or their iPods, but more than not, my kids are great.

If someone told me that buying these things was a waste of money, and they would never spend that on their kid .. I'd say .. Good for them, not your family, not your choice.

When we bought out kids their iPod touches, I actually had a friend ask me if she could buy their Nintendo ds's, then got upset because I said no. In my eyes, they got that as a reward for doing so well in school. It's really not mine to sell. I don't care if they don't play it, it's theirs.

i know a lot of you moms won't agree with me, but hey ... Thats how we roll ...

by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twin_mama_x_2
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Me too.i feel the same.my kids want for nothing
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't give a shit about any of it but cm makes me laugh.
Aprilaaw85
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Me too, but I've noticed, a lot of people in real life do this also, it's just a general question. But I get what you're saying.

Quoting Momniscient:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2013 at 11:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I stopped reading at 'I seen' sorry :/
TrouserMouse
by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I was told that I spent too much on my son's bedroom set.  He came to me with nothing.  I bought him a decent set that will last.  He can either take it with him when he moves out of I can keep it and use it for the younger kids. Either way, it will get plenty of use.

Personally, I don't think a couple of thousand dollars for a bed, mattress, dresser and desk is that much.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:35 PM
I guess Ive not run across it, but I am a kinda oblivious person. Those kinds of things don't usually ht my radar.

Quoting Aprilaaw85:

Me too, but I've noticed, a lot of people in real life do this also, it's just a general question. But I get what you're saying.

Quoting Momniscient:

Aprilaaw85
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM

If that's what you can afford then go for it.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I was told that I spent too much on my son's bedroom set.  He came to me with nothing.  I bought him a decent set that will last.  He can either take it with him when he moves out of I can keep it and use it for the younger kids. Either way, it will get plenty of use.

Personally, I don't think a couple of thousand dollars for a bed, mattress, dresser and desk is that much.

jojo_star
by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I agree. DH and I are very comfortable, so we can easily afford to buy our kids the latest and greatest technology, and we do. We can spoil our kids. I've heard often that it's going to turn my children into lazy, entitled brats. At 11, 14, 15, and 16, that couldn't be further from the truth. They are hard working, smart, caring, wonderful children. Yup, they have their moments, and like you, we take those things away, and that fixes the problem, but those times are very rare. 

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

I'm not super open financially here, people get crazy.

Aprilaaw85
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM

We have a rule at this house .. You come home, do homework, do the few chores you have to do (I'm a SAHM, and I could do it .. But I won't, it's their responsibility) they can play outside till dinner, they eat, shower, and if they are done with everything before 7:30 or 8:00, they have an hour to game, or watch TV, this is on weekdays, on weekends, they can play longer. And they can also earn more time during the week if they are very good.

Quoting jojo_star:

I agree. DH and I are very comfortable, so we can easily afford to buy our kids the latest and greatest technology, and we do. We can spoil our kids. I've heard often that it's going to turn my children into lazy, entitled brats. At 11, 14, 15, and 16, that couldn't be further from the truth. They are hard working, smart, caring, wonderful children. Yup, they have their moments, and like you, we take those things away, and that fixes the problem, but those times are very rare. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN