Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Any advice on trichotillomania..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies

I have a very bad anxiety disorder. I have had the axiety under control or a while now but I also suffer from trichiltillomania, which is a symptom of it.  I have found it really hard to kick the picking. I have tried putting my hair up all day but at some point I take it down just to do it. When I watch tv, I sit and do it out of boredom, when I am in bed I do it. I really hate that I do this, it has really cause me some pain. I cannot wear my hair down, I have to wear it up at al times or I feel like someone is gonna see my bald spots. I have to make sure when I put my hair up I put it up right so that hair is covering it and that you cannot see anything through it. I am so ashamed of it. I have really long hair, its beautiflul to everyone but I cannot see it because I know I have bald spots. There are only a few people who know I do it, I do not tell anyone. For the last three days I have been putting it up in a sock bun in hopes that I will not pick, It has worked so far but I know that I will start back up soon.. I want to stop but something in my brain will not let me..  I have deen a doc but they say there is not any cures, its a syptom and has to be dealt with in couseling.. Been there done that, did not work.. Ugh, Ok I have said enough.. Please  let me know if any of you suffer so I can see if there is something I can do to help my situation.. Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2013 at 12:45 AM
My ss bm has this. She's bald. She wears a wig. All I know is that she will never treat it or admit its an illness. She eats the root as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I don't eat the roots but i do put it up to my lips to feel it..  I would not know what to do it I were completely bald.. That would be all so bad. I am trying, sock bun still up. Maybe I have found something that works. Don't know.. But thanks for sharing.

Quoting Anonymous:

My ss bm has this. She's bald. She wears a wig. All I know is that she will never treat it or admit its an illness. She eats the root as well.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Try looking for an online support group.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I have a really good friend with Tric.  She's had it since she was a child... 

She's never been able to "cure" it.. But she's got amazing wigs and lives with it that way.

t1gger143
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM
My sil has it. She went off her meds and now ha several bald spots. She exercises to help with the anxiety.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 12:50 AM

It's difficult to live with.. Very shameful.. 

Quoting KristenFowles:

I have a really good friend with Tric.  She's had it since she was a child... 

She's never been able to "cure" it.. But she's got amazing wigs and lives with it that way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I think you should try another therapist. Why give up so easily. It's part OCD and I think manageable. You have to say this is it. You have to fight. I'm going to pray for you. I hope you find the courage to go back to therapy. You have nothing to be ashamed about.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't eat the roots but i do put it up to my lips to feel it..  I would not know what to do it I were completely bald.. That would be all so bad. I am trying, sock bun still up. Maybe I have found something that works. Don't know.. But thanks for sharing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Newmom8912
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Maybe pick up a healthier habit? Gym, sewing, writing etc. Every time you wanna pick do that instead?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elijahXmom
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Have you tried to knitting or cross stich well anything to keep your hands busy. Hugs
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I suffer from Trich. But I'm probably no help as I just shaved my head. It completely helped me and I look god with no hair.

I used to suffer in silence. But now I tell people exactly what I have. Trich is not really an OCD it's more like a tick like Tourettes. It's not something that can be fixed with meds. You can go through periods of remission but it's not actually fixable with therapy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)