Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I guess that makes me the bi**h of the family

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So my distance niece is getting married and makes a fb status and tags my sisters and I as well as all of her great Aunts for jewelry to "use" in a broach bouquet.
My grandmother didn't have much jewelry by the time of her passing. My grandfather had pawned most of it off due to his drinking problem. So what little was is left is very treasured.
I used to watch my niece's children for her and we had an agreement that she'd pay me $50 a week to watch her 2 kids. (She would also have to provide their snacks). 4 months went by and no payment. It was always one excuse or another. So I politely told her that I couldn't watch them anymore.
Now she is asking to use jewelry and make no mention of loaning or barrowing it. I did reply with I love you and dont take this the wrong way but you've got to be fu**ing nuts to think that I would let her use my grandmother's jewelry. I didn't speak for my sisters or my Aunts. But I told her that this is how I felt. I wished her the best of luck in finishing her bouquet and that she should start looking at thrift shops, garage sales or even estate sales to find some cheap costume jewelry.
But now I'm the bitch for speaking my mind. If I can't trust her with getting a check to me how can I trust her with a cherished family heirloom?
Was I wrong?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Replies (31-32):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 3:07 AM
It's funny how the rest of the family claims to have nothing of my grandmother's. when I know that they do. But yet, I'm still the bitch for saying what I did. Now she's claiming that she not allowed to remember our gramma the way she wants to. Carry gramma's pic in the bouquet but she isn't getting a dam thing from me.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would just tell your family if they want to hand over their jewelry to her that's fine but you aren't going to risk losing something like that. It's precious and priceless. That you won't be bullied just because she publicized it in which she wanted to make you feel obligated to do it. You have done her favors in the past and she has screwed you over. So the answer is no. (tell them that). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM
They won't loan out the stuff they have either but I'm the one that's wrong. But I know I'm not te only one in the family that feels that's way.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Hopefully they will come to their senses and understand how you feel about loaning out treasured heirlooms. I wish you luck. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I would rather piss off the entire family than risking losing the last thing I have of my grandma's. I know some ladies are not so lucky when it comes to cherished things from loved ones.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Family can be such assholes if you go against the grain. Trust me, that is one subject I am very familiar with. I am the bitch and the black sheep of my family. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I told my family that they could let her "use" their jewelry that they got from my grandmother but never responded to me after that.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

First, I have never heard of using jewelry as a bouquet. That is unusual. 

Second, hell no I would not let anyone use family heirlooms for a bouquet. I don't care who they are. That is just dumb. Much better idea to use cheap costume jewelry.

Honestly, your family should respect that you don't want to hand over your treasured pieces and move on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)