Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Don't send home a f***ing animal as a party favor!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 445 Replies
19 moms liked this

Dd went to a birthday party today. It was carnival themed. She came home with two fucking fish. I had to go buy a bowl and all the crap that goes with it? And for what? The inevitable conversation about death that I'll have to have with her in about two weeks.
Who would think this was a good idea?!

ETA: Damn! That blew up over night! I haven't gotten through all of the replies yet, but Pipsqueak and Flower Candy are still alive in their bowl and I talked to dd's about my inability to keep fish alive so that they won't be too heartbroken if the things die. *For everyone asking why I didn't just refuse the "gifts." Dh picked dd up from the party and didn't know how to react when the fish were handed to him. Also, for everyone telling me to get over it and that it's not a big deal- you're right, it's really not a huge deal, but a pet, any type of pet, is something I'd like to make a decision about bringing into our lives and I still feel like it was very presumptious of them to send the fish home with my five year old. I'm not going to call the parents and bitch, I'm not going to flush them, but in the future I will make sure that nothing that breaths comes home from a party with any of my kids.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
209mom4you
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:47 AM
4 moms liked this
My mom had fish at one of her weddings they were center pieces but we gave them away with the bowls
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:48 AM
34 moms liked this
its a fish not a puppy.
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:49 AM
4 moms liked this
Haha have fun
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM
54 moms liked this
I don't care. Why would you send home a living creature? Send a bag with some suckers and erasers like a normal person.

Quoting Matriarch87:

its a fish not a puppy.

bellawomen
by Summer on May. 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM
16 moms liked this
Bowls are incredibly too small for fish of any size, especially goldfish (they need 20 gallons minimum for 1 for healthy growth). Not to mention you need a filter, likely a heater, and you have no bacteria built up to cycle your container. What type of fish do you have? I can try to help you out as much as I can, but fish keeping can be pricey and require a lot of learning and attention. I have learned SO much in the past year, but am not an expert by any means.

I agree...HORRIBLE idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2013 at 2:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol ME!!!! I did a carnival type thing for DS 7th birthday party... But I did give the fish with a bowl and food..
bellawomen
by Summer on May. 6, 2013 at 2:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Trust me, upkeep of a dog is easier if you are not aware of water parameters, fish habitat, etc.

Quoting Matriarch87:

its a fish not a puppy.
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:51 AM
2 moms liked this
yea but it was a carnival theme, fish were cheaper than a cotton candy machine.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't care. Why would you send home a living creature? Send a bag with some suckers and erasers like a normal person.

Quoting Matriarch87:

its a fish not a puppy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 2:53 AM
3 moms liked this
They're goldfish. I have no intention of replacing them when they meet their inevitable demise and I'm certainly not spending more money than I absolutely have to on them.

Quoting bellawomen:

Bowls are incredibly too small for fish of any size, especially goldfish (they need 20 gallons minimum for 1 for healthy growth). Not to mention you need a filter, likely a heater, and you have no bacteria built up to cycle your container. What type of fish do you have? I can try to help you out as much as I can, but fish keeping can be pricey and require a lot of learning and attention. I have learned SO much in the past year, but am not an expert by any means.

I agree...HORRIBLE idea.

NBean311
by Chivette on May. 6, 2013 at 2:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Yeah... Not a good idea. I mean, they aren't crazy high maintenance, but it's not a responsibility you decided to take on yourself, and that is kind of annoying. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)